Thread: Water water everywhere and not a drop to FISH!!!

Default Water water everywhere and not a drop to FISH!!!

2011 is going to go down as one of the craziest years I've ever experienced! It's August, I'm starting to reload for hunting seasons right around the corner and people are still saying many rivers are 2-3 weeks out from being fishable! I've found some small tribs here and there but COME ON MAN!!! LOL!

Go north. The North Fork Yuba is fishing great, The Middle Fork Yuba is actually on the low side. The forks of the Feather are also fishing good, the Middle is on the high side. All are clear. Find rivers that arn't draining from high elevations and you will find fishable waters.

I've been fishing lower elevation creeks and streams and knocking them dead. They are perfect while the rivers are blown out.
    "...and on the eighth day God created Police Officers so Firemen would have heroes..."

All the waters up near Truckee are pretty close to prime. May be crowded, but fishing. East Walker is prime, East Carson is high, but very fishable. Whats still too high to fish? Lower Yuba? Stanislaus? Get higher up and youll be in better shape Im guessing.

Most of the east side stuff I keep hearing give it 2-3 weeks. Mostly I was just complaining I have plenty of "jump across" creeks I know are fishing well around the lower elevations but the upper stuff was still high and off color 2 weeks ago. Things are finally shaping up and I'm too busy to fish. Oh well bring on the ducks and steelhead!!!

Default Northern Cal is perfect

Everything up north is perfect; cool water and plenty of fish.

Upper and lower Sac are still in good shape and shoul stay that way until winter blow them out.

McCloud is still god to great (keep an eye out for flow increases due to relicensing crap)

Manzanita Lake has been good although you have to watch out for the kayakers LOL.....

Areas of the Pit are OK to but stay close to the tail waters and look for cooler water.

Let me know if you head up this way and I will be happy to point you in the right direction.

NOrCalDrifter56@yahoo.com

Default Really?

"Most of the east side stuff I keep hearing give it 2-3 weeks."

That's weird. I've been guiding full time since February and I haven't cancelled a trip yet... I'm well past 100 days on the water and it's been great!!

Our tailwaters EW and Lower Owens fished great all spring/summer. The EW has been on and off again fishable since February... save the few weeks at 1,000cfs... the Lower Owens had the longest, lowest stretch of release flow in as long as I can remember -300cfs in July in unusually low and very fishable!! And June down there was off the hook great.

Hot Creek and Upper Owens went through the runoff and HC is still a little high!! But these streams cleared long ago, for the most part.

Local lakes have been great!

There's always options to avoid runoff on streams that are actually affected by runoff... some fisheries are only indirectly affected by runoff (tailwaters).

Now... if you are referring to the High Sierra. Yeah, some lakes are just now melting out and a few waaaay up high are still iced over. So it may be a few weeks yet. I have friends who have done several different backpacking trips for goldens this week. They struck gold!!!
    "Fishing should be a ceremony that reaffirms our place in the natural world and helps us resist further estrangement from our origins."
    Thomas McGuane

www.reeladventuresguideservice.com

Guess I shouldn't listen to what I hear fisherman say

I haven't been over since late June and the Carson and Walker were still raging and brown at that time.