Quote Originally Posted by Jed Peters View Post
Bill, as a small business owner and a huge "purchaser" myself, I have to respectfully disagree. You have good points, but remember, a business has to "adapt" to the changes in the world to remain relevant.

See also Leland Fly Fishing and The Fly Shop. They have strong online presence, and a great walk in business.
IMO, unless tax reform allows us, the vannishing "middle class" folks (who do the spending for product and services) to depreciate or even get a full tax credit for purchasing from small business, (pipe dream!) then yes, small businesses will most certainly have to adapt.... Of course, we all know that tax reform is never for the "middle class".

My question is how can real significant adaption occur when the manufacturer doesn't allow the reseller to discount to incite a sale or to meet competition?

Every electronic modern tool we have at our disposal today is created to assist us in being a more knowlegeable purchaser.... in other words, we're now conditioned to look for 'deals'. If this wasn't the case, then the Sunday paper would be razor thin, we wouldn't be looking for the Fry's ad each Friday, there wouldn't be ebay, etc.

I had written out my thoughts on how the industry could change from top to bottom, but deleted. It's too long. I think it's very viable tho.... and I'm not going to give my ideas away for free! <grin>