Quote Originally Posted by Digger38 View Post
Just curious if your fly line weight should always match your rod weight? I have heard people say that depending on the type of fishing you do that your fly line should go up 1=2x higher than your rod weight depending on what type of fishing you do? Is this correct and if so what are some examples of when you do want a heavier line than your rod?
Well, I use a 10 wt Rio Outbound Short on my 8 wt TFO for top water stripers, but I use an 8wt atlantic salmon line (SA) on the same rod for steelhead.

Paul says the only time you want the weights to match is when you are casting 50+ feet with smaller flies, because you want the whole head of the line out to load the rod properly. This is especially true for dry fly fishing on streams/rivers.

If you're shooting line with less of the head out, over-size line will load the rod with less line out of the tip. However, when you are throwing a large, wind-resistant or heavy fly (striper/lmb), the grain weight of the line should match the fly. Paul's advice is always to throw it with the smallest rod you can throw the fly with (like my outbound on my 8 wt).

This stuff always amazes me too....