What i was getting at was that when the mortality gets too high, that would be an issue for me. I don't have a problem with how many trout I kill, because it's a small percentage of the total number I land... 3-5% or so.

If it were true that 30%, 40% or 80% of the bonefish I release were dying, that would be a problem for me. What I was getting at and from the reseach I read, mortality rates can be very high if certain variables line up... those variablees being air exposure, handling and predator density.

If your goal is to have the fish survive its encounter with you, it is a good thing to know what will increase the odds for the fish... in some cases, you can dramatically increase the odds for the fish just by snapping one of those cool underwater photos, or otherwise not removing the fish fully from the water.

I found the research a bit shocking... not used to predation being such a factor being a fresh water angler 99% of the time. So, my own shock is what I was trying to get across.