Aloha, the weather has been nice, and the seas have been calm. Friday afternoon I went for a couple of hours in-shore and got a couple of barracuda and a small bonefish. I was testing out a new 5wt Jim Teeny TFO rod and ab TFO 310 reel that I plan on using on x-mas island next summer. It was a great rig for small bonefish. They are lots of fun on that out fit.
On sunday we went off-shore and hit the buoys. We got a hit on an ono on the way out, but he only tore the skirt and the hook didn't set. When we got to the buoy we made a couple of passes with the skirts, but no hits. The ahi have spawned and we only have some stragglers around. The birds were working, so we got out the spin gear and loaded up on aku, skip jack tuna. We bridled one, but no big boys were around. After getting enough aku for poke, I decided to bust out the fly rod. I got out a TFO bluewater light duty rod and put on a popper. I got a nice ahi to hit and fought it up to the boat. We lost it trying to get it in the net, but it was a good fight, and about the only way you get a catch and release over here. The weather is changing and we are heading into fall season now. I have a week off next week from school and will try to get some winter mahi-mahi. It is funny the leaves don't change over here, but the fish change color from silver to green. Laterz, Mems.