January was a tough month in the kayak for stripers. I made three trips and got one pike minnow and one striper. The water was pretty muddy and could have been the problem on two of the trips but it was still tough. February has started out much better with some stripers caught today. The water is still cold at 47F so I don't think they just warmed up and got on the bite. My guess is some fish moved in from wherever it is they go when they are not in the Delta. I have not seen a decent report so I was not expecting to find any fish but there were some around. They were scattered so it was not just a lucky pod. I guess we will see how things develop but I feel better about striper fishing than I did yesterday which is good news.

Over the last couple of months I did a little steelhead fishing in Oregon and got the goose egg. Not a single touch. Winter steelhead is a tough game. You better like the fishing part of it because the catching part can be spotty. I did get a few crabs off the pier which were tasty and I got some razor clams. I really like going out for the razor clams. I have not been doing it long so I watch other people and ask some questions. People are helpful and I am starting to figure the clam out. This last time out I watched a couple of commercial clam diggers. Those guys really get them but they get pretty wet doing it. I prefer to stay dry but I did see a trick or two I can use.