I headed out this past weekend for a westside Sierra destination that was burned by the Creek fire last summer, and has only recently reopened. The forecast was calling for hot weather across the interior. I live an hour or so from the coast, and had been surf fishing last weekend, so I felt like doing something different.

I got a bit of a late start, so it was getting pretty warm. The first few miles had been burned.

Around 8000'-ish I stopped for some lunch, and looked out at the Sierra crest. Clouds building.

I encountered a trail crew doing some work. They checked my wilderness permit, and we chatted about trail conditions. They were nearing the end of their stint.

The first lake looked good. I could see fish activity, and I've fished there before, but generally don't camp there.

But no rest for the weary. I continued on, up and over, then a steep final push to my destination.

It wasn't as hot up here at 9200', but still pretty warm. The clouds looked foreboding, but the rain appeared to be confined to the crest. The breezy conditions were welcome, though. I tossed out some hoppers on a 4wt, but the fish were mostly on the other side of the lake. Still, I managed a brookie.

It was not cold overnight. In fact, I didn't even zip up my 50 degree sleeping bag. The morning was nice.

I walked around the lake before breakfast and fished a bit more, and managed another brookie or two.

I got started again around 9am-ish, descended into a meadow, and then headed cross-country to another lake.

I stopped to rest, but didn't bother fishing. Looked nice, though, and I saw a rise or two.

I continued on, making my way cross-country, gradually descending, and then ascending a ridge past another lake. Though scenic, I knew from experience it was popular, and the sound of voices carried even from this distance.

Over the ridge, dropping down, then contouring, I came to another lake at ~9300'.

I worked my way around the lake, spying a marmot.

It was warm. I caught another brookie or two. I confess I used spinning gear

Soon I could hear claps of thunder. I pitched my shelter and took a nap. The rain never came. Around 5pm or so I got up, and fished some more.

I decided to keep the last fish, and fried it up on my Jetboil MightMo stove and Summit skillet. The skillet was actually a bit too small for the fish -- I had to kind of kink up its tail to fit Perhaps next time I should think ahead and cut the fish in half ...

(continued in second post)