Last year I went to Aitutaki for the first time and can't wait to go back, so I'm putting it out there,,,,,,,, If anyone wants to go or needs a partner I'm ready NOW.

Jay, as to your first question below I did the whole thing on my own and it came out cheaper than going to Christmas Island.

Here are some of the details I'll make public to ease the planning and keep the prices down. I like to say I'm NOT cheap, I'm frugal and I always look for the best deals.

First off fly Air New Zealand out of Los Angeles. They have a weekly direct flight to Raratonga, the hub and capitol of the Cook Islands. Todays price is $868.00 round trip economy seating. The plane leaves at almost midnight from LAX. You sleep (or try to) the whole way. The Air NZ service was wonderful but it's still a long ride.

You arrive at Avarua, Raratonga in the morning and you can begin to relax. You now have a choice of either spending a little time on Raro as we did, or you can get right on another flight that will take you to Aitutaki. Air Raratonga has beautiful turbo-props that fly there 5 or 6 times a day. As I remember it, it was only about $350 RT in NZD which was about $265 USD.

I had already booked my lodging and fishing package with Popoara Villas and the Boat Shed restaurant for 6 nights and 6 days of fishing, including all meals and drinks for the week. The owner is an expat Aussie named Alan Mills and the most wonderful host you could ever imagine.

We arrived on a later flight at Aitutaki than I wanted but Alan was still ready to take us out fishing. We declined after the long flights getting here. So we spent 6 nights and 5 days fishing the most beautiful place in the world I've ever seen.

Now here's the good part, we stayed and fished the whole last day, had dinner at the Boat Shed, and Alan let us use the room to shower before taking our late flight back to Raratonga and then home. The price was $2850.00? NZD. Repeat this NZD converts to USD at an exchange rate $.74 / USD. When I got my Visa bill at home the charge was $1750.00 USD.

Now add those costs up, $868.00 Air NZ +$265.00 Air Raro plus the lodge at $1750.00 all inclusive, totals to approximately $2883,00 USD.

I didn't add the flight from Sacramento to LAX as most folks have travel credits on their credit card they can use.

Another thing, I asked Alan about tipping the guides for the boat, and he said they DON'T usually do that around here. Can you believe that?

I'm sure there are lots of questions you'd like to ask, and I'm glad to answer. Call of e-mail
Tony