Thread: WON article New Hogan lake stripers

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default WON article New Hogan lake stripers

Submitted for discussion. Found this article in the W.O.N. a couple weeks ago (pub 7/15/16) Apparently we can't upload a .pdf file to these threads.

New Hogan striped bass boiling on the surface

By Dave Hurley WON Staff writer

VALLEY SPRINGS - New Hogan Reservoir on the Calaveras River has taken off for striped bass, as the linesides are boiling on the surface in the early mornings and evenings. Hot weather always brings out the boils, and the stripers are chasing the lake's abundant threadfin shad on the surface.

New Hogan was once a trophy trout fishery, but with the introduction of striped bass several decades ago, the linesides dominate the lakes fishing interest. A self-sustaining population has developed at the lake due to the stripers' ability to spawn, and with the massive number of stripers competing for the limited food supply, the size of the striped bass is generally small.

Beau Coutroul of the Lake Camanche Recreation Company said, "Striper action has been off the hook, as the fish are boiling all over the lake. The best fishing has been in the evenings as the stripers will stay up for up to an hour in the deeper water of the lake. They stay up longer at depths from 15 to 20 feet, and we have been easing into the boils to throw white Flukes, 6-inch top- water lures, and 8-inch swimbaits for stripers in the 23- to 26-inch range. The fish have just been in- haling the big baits. The key is to move slowly towards the boils and toss from outside of the boil. If two boats are working the boils, it is ideal, as the jet skis and wake-boarders will stay back, but if you are the only boat working the boil, the recreational boats will plow through the middle and the fish will go down.

Monte Smith of Gold Country Sport Fishing has been trolling the lake with frozen shad or anchovies in a harness, and he confirmed the heavy boils on the lake. He said, "The fish are all within the top 5 to 10 feet of the surface, and they are actually jumping out of the water on the surface. A few boats are sitting around waiting for the boils, and once the fish start boiling throughout the day, you either have to change your tac- tics or stay home, since trolling slows down. I plan on bringing some rods loaded with topwater lures on future trips.

Bank fishing has also been good with lures as well as cut bait or frozen shad. The striped bass limit at New Hogan is 10 fish per day with no size restriction due to the huge population of bass in the lake.

My first impression from this article is it's prob way over-hyped, but I haven't fished New Hogan lake for over 7 years. Back then I only fished it one day, and didn't catch a striper or find any boils. Three of us did catch a couple large bluegill, a ~6 lb catfish and I think a number of black bass. Does the 10 per day striper limit seem a little alarming?

I still have never caught a striper in a lake, so if New Hogan really has grown a decent population of 'em, it is waaaaay easier to get to than San Luis Res forebay...

Anybody have more recent experience with New Hogan stripers?

Cheers, Mark
    Last edited by Mark V; 07-24-2016 at 01:43 PM.