Thread: Umpqua Info?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Umpqua Info?

Two years ago my son and I drifted the Umpqua in Roseburg with guide Gary Lewis. With 3 wts. and small clousers. We landed over 80 small mouth, but only a couple over a pound. A few months later I was talking with the "Big K Ranch" at the Sac. ISE show. They are located on the Umpqua in Elkton Or. I told them of my experience and they said the area they work is known for much larger smallies than where I had fished.

My son graduates (with fingers crossed!) High School this June. He has experienced quite a bit; 28 &29 lb. Redfish in LOLA, Dorado and Tuna in La Paz, Sturgeon on the Columbia River, Pot luck fishing Indian Lagoon in Florida. His 1st striper on a fly was a 13 lber. on a 7 wt. (at age 12). This summer we have decided on a guy trip. We are going to load up the tent and go North from home in Yuba City. 1st stop, a Lower Sac day thru The Fly Shop. We are not trout guys but try to hit the lower Sac. once a year. Next stop is Roseburg Or. for a day with Capt. Gary Lewis for smallmouth again. We are going to spend a few days in Roseburg, maybe go on a jet boat ride or rafting trip on the Rogue. I decided to give the Big K Ranch a try and booked a day for smallies with them.

Does any one have any experience with small mouth in the Elkton O.r area, or with the Big K Ranch? already booked, just curious.

Bill Siler
    Yuba City Ca.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kyle dorado.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	41.7 KB 
ID:	8762   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kyle tuna.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	91.0 KB 
ID:	8763   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	28lb red 2.JPG 
Views:	196 
Size:	87.1 KB 
ID:	8760   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kyle%205-21-09%204%20upload[1].jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	88.4 KB 
ID:	8761