I was referred to this site from Gary Bulla's site, where someone suggested you guys might be able to help. Looks like I have to add a stop next time I pass through Sacramento!

Anyway, so it looks like I'm headed to Belize. I'm obviously very excited. However, I'm doing it on the cheap (got a free ticket that I have to use by April, and Belize has been a dream vacation for a while). I'll have little money to spare for a guide at the moment (at best I'll put together the cash for one day, maybe 2). I'm not doing a hardcore fishing-only trip (the GF is joining, but she's more than happy to dump me for a while and relax on the beach), I want to see a bit of Belize as well, but I'd like to be fishing most, if not every, day.

So, with that set up: Anyone with any knowledge (or suggestions as to where I might find info) on DIY fishing off of Ambergris Caye or Caye Caulker? Is it even really advisable w/o a boat? Can I get by with just a kayak rental? Right now it looks like Caulker Caye, based on the available accommodations, but I'm flexible.

On another note, I could choose some other random similar location if it's affordable, Belize just seemed like a great place to blow the free ticket and I can find a reasonable place to stay.

Suggestions? Tips? Anyone?
Thanks in advance.
Brad