Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Global Warming

This looks a lot like polotics on a flyfishing board...Think I'll pass on any comments.

Jay

Truly scary stuff. On a more hopeful note, I hereby predict there will be more venues for largemouth bass topwater fly fishing. Let it be known you heard it here first.
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

Doesn't seem to be any solutions stated so I will raise mine...
    We set off 3 volcanoes with nuke bombs. Let the ash cover
    the planet and float around for 5 years. Sure will cool things
    down a little. Question: which 3 volcanoes?
    "I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy nobody but him, and him only that catches more fish than I do." Izaak Walton
    God Bless and Tight Lines ----*<(((>< ~ ~ ~

Default web link

Interesting you bring up volcanos.... here is a web link to the Alaska Volcano Observatory You can see that there are a couple of volcanos in code orange status on the Kamchatka Peninsula. Likewise, do a search of past eruptions... It has been 1 year since Mt. St. Augustine erupted in Cook Inlet (South of Anchorage) and less for a couple of other volcanos on the Aleutian chain. Here is another link for volcanic activity around the globe USGS Current Volcanic Reports
    Alaskan Fish Guides
    www.alaskanfishguides.com

Default Media....

While I have no concerns with Al Gore's past statements about anything, he is a politician, first and foremost.... I regard politicians of any party with a great deal of skepticism. It's, also, true that scientists can be like anyone else; whoever pays their way can influence their findings.

As a possible source of counterpoints to, An Inconvenient Truth, try Michael Crichton's book, State of Fear. Altho I haven't seen the CD, yet, I believe that both are entertaining. I know the book is a good read as well as informative. The book contains many footnotes/references to scientific materials, etc. Some are supportive and others are not.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Default Re: web link

Ed - little bit off topic - you don't know Larry Keen do you - he has lived in you fine city for many years - Larry & i went to school together for many years - t

The folks in Colorado right now would laugh about this.

For every point for, there's a counterpoint against that works.
    As an engineer, I know that ANY set of data can be presented and skewed in which ever direction desired.

We've been keeping 'accurate records' for what percentage of the earth's existence? .00000000001 % ????

I live for winters, I ski, I board.
    Last couple years have been record years for snowfall in the Sierra's.
    It comes and goes.

Actually, wouldn't it be foolish to think things aren't changing constantly on a living planet? And who says warming is/isn't good/bad ?

Besides, that big ass asteroid is going to ruin our day before global warming will.
    Steelhead gear = $6287, no of adults caught = 3, amortized cost = $2,095.67, beaching that 30" fish and letting it go = priceless

My bet is that Man will not do a lot about any of this and I will put My Money on Nature taking its course......Any Takers?????

Wow........ I can't believe He did that.........

Default Michael Crichton....???

Tristan,.... Don't jump to conclusions about what I said about Michael Crichton.

I've re-read my post and don't find anything in it that sets HIM out as an authority. I did say his book was a good read and informative and that it did include some footnotes and references to scientific materials.... Sorry if that offended you.

Of course the book is fiction; but like all fiction, there is some basis in fact (however small). The materials referenced in the footnotes were what was the basis for my comments. Take the info for what it's worth but please don't attribute more to my post than was intended/offered....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown