Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: American River Hawk

Default American River Hawk

I just got my new lens last week so i ended up taking a walk along the american at Paradise Beach.
    Here are a couple of pics. He flew away before i got close so these are some pretty heavy crops.

Beautiful shots B. Red Shoulders are always a good subject. The back of their wings have a spectacular pattern but it's a lot tougher to get that angle, you'd have to be on level or above them. I once saw one of these snatch a fish out of the water at Watt. They're not supposed to do that. Love the flying through the trees pic, looks like he's on a mission. Ed
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

Jake: Hit it.

Great pics!
    Ed, good call on the RS Hawk.
    I can never be fully confident in the differences between RS, Sharp shinned and Cooper's!
    Education is the ability to listen to almost anything without losing your temper or your self-confidence. Robert Frost

Say Hey Bolden,
    I really enjoy your pics of the RS. Birds of Prey are dear to my heart and a long time hobby. Nice job! What was the lens, etc?????
    Cheers, Ken
    Love the challenge...What try? No try. Just do!

They were both with my d50 and the 300mm f/4.

Hey Bolden, that hawk looks so good I'm using it for my wallpaper background. The sharp shinned and coopers look similar to each other but not like the R. S. They don't have the white dot patterns or make as much noise as the R.S. The easy way to tell the two apart is the size. Coopers are about the same size as the Red Shoulder and the Sharp Shinned is closer to the size of a jay. Ken H., we have a common interest here, when I spot a Bald Eagle while fishing,(or hunting), everything stops til they're out of view. Same goes for Ospreys, Marsh Hawks, Goshawsks, etc,etc. Been a bird guy since I could walk. Ed
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

Jake: Hit it.

Guys;

If you haven't already you should grab a copy of "Bird Songs" by Les Beletsky.

It's a hoot, , pardon the pun!

I got it for Christmas and am having a great time with it.
    Education is the ability to listen to almost anything without losing your temper or your self-confidence. Robert Frost

"They were both with my d50 and the 300mm f/4."

Thanks B. I appreciate the info. Handheld, monopod, tripod????
    Cheers, Ken

Handheld. I just took a walk around the river and it was sunny, so there was no need for a monopod or tripod.

Timing is everything amigo. Right place, right time, click and capture. Thanks.
    Cheers, Ken