Thread: Drake's 1-6-07, No way today

Default Drake's 1-6-07, No way today

I just got back from an attempt to fish Drake's Beach . After suiting up and taking a few steps out into the surf, I decided not to go any further. The wind was howling and the surf was the highest I have ever seen it there. I could have gotten out of the wind if I headed west along the base of the cliffs you can see in the photos. The problem was that the tide was still an hour and a half from its high and the surf was already up to the base of the cliff in spots .

The idea of being trapped at the base of the cliff, which is notoriously unstable, with nowhere to go did not appeal to me at all. Sometime you just have to realize that there will be another day.
    "So it goes"

Hey Anne,

Hopefully, the tides, surf & weather will be more favorable on your next visit to Drake's. I probably just missed you there this afternoon. I arrived on the beach shortly after high tide & fished the outgoing into the evening. The surf was just beginning to recede from shore, making the beach barely accessible when I first got there:

The water was a little more cloudy compared to yesterday, but conditions were moderately fishable. I wound up C&R'ing 2 BSP's & 4 calicos while swinging a set of triple Seducers with the 0-wt again:

I must be severely addicted to the place - I'm going back on Sunday to fish the afternoon slacktide once more.

- Mark

if it was that nasty at drake's just imagine what it was like out at the western facing beaches without the protection of drake's like 10-mile and kehoe, by the way anne and mark, got my x-mas isle report up under travel