Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wooly Buggers

I'm not Bill, but I use the white buggers for mainly everything but trout, Crappie, bass, stripers. Not that it wouldn't catch trout, but I usually use Olive, brown or black when trout fishin.
    White for mostly warmwater fishin.
    Bob

White wooly buggers are kinda the secret weapon for trout in a particular water around here....a water where the fish are particularly persnickety. (say that 10 times fast) They are a very useful fly!

jay

I just spent a couple of BassPro gift cards and got a copy of "Wooly Wisdom" by Gary Soucie. I never knew there were so many variations on this fly!

That is a really great book. I have it as well. I love wooly buggers

I tested all 3 colors of these woolly buggers for the first time yesterday at New Melones and they were awesome for trout. Had 4 hookups and 3 landed, 2 on black, 2 on olive and nothing for the brown. The biggest fish came on the black at 14" and made several jumps and runs. I will definately be tying more of those colors in various sizes.

BTW, I used one of the swap flies I'm tying in size 4 and it caught 1 of the fish (all the others were size_. So I will need to tie another one of those now, but it's now a tested fly.

Congratulations! Bet it felt good to catch them on your own flies, eh? May I ask how you were fishing them?
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

Thanks. I am quite pleased with the results for the first time out as I thought those buggers looked enticing. Three were hooked while trolling tight to the shoreline, one during a retrieve while parked in a small cove.

Were you fishing them near the surface with a floating line? Slow retrieve?
    -- Mike

I was using a sinking head on both fly reels, but one had intermediate line and other had a floating line, so I would say the depth ranged about 5-10 feet. The retrieve was about medium speed with twitches.

Thanks! I'm always curious about what's working on a particular piece of water. Sounds like you had a good time.
    -- Mike