Thread: Wader Repair?

Default Wader Repair?

I have a pair of neoprene waders that recently got punctured up while busting through streamside black berry bushes. Any quick fixes for them. I dont have one of those wader repair kits. Thanks
    -Nick

If you ahve any aquaseal that will work - you can get a solution to speed up the drying time if you can't wait over night.

Rick's right about the Aquaseal. A tube only costs about 6 bucks. Use a hair dryer to gently heat the spot and again to help the goo soak in. After it cures it will outlast the rest of the waders. I've used that stuff to repair wading boots that came apart, 2 years later the rest of the boots had it and fell apart but the glued sections stayed together. Ed
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

Jake: Hit it.

Aquaseal is definitely the way to go. Not sure how this will work with neoprene, but with goretex waders I simply did the following:
    1) Fold waders inside out.
    2) Spray areas suspected of leaking with isopropyl alchohol
    3) Turn waders back again.
    4) Look for spots where the isopropyl has wicked through the holes. Should look like circular wet spots.
    5) mark those with a pencil or something removable.
    6) patch those areas with aquaseal and you're done.

Granted...patching on the outside doesn't look great, but seems to do the job.

I think with the strechability of neoprene, you may be able to just use a flashlight in a dark room and stretch around the suspect areas looking for where the light gets through also...
    HTH,
    Paul

if you need to find the leak first not sure that the alcohol that Paul suggests will work on neoprene - if not I have just filled waders with a garden hose and look for the leak - dry them then apply aquaseal - you can put it on the inside rather than outside unless you want the "brush busting badge" to show!

Default Wader Repair

I have used a company in San Clemente CA for neoprene wader repair with success, here's their web-page: http://www.expresswetsuit.com/intro.html

As far as Simms gore-tex repairs I sent a pair into them (Simms) that were 5 years old that I could not find the pin holes on. They found the holes and also replaced both neoprene feet for me no charge.

Default Repairing neoprene waders

Back in the days I wore neoprene waders, I found them easy to repair by:
    1) mix up a solution of dishwashing detergent and water
    2) blow up leg(s) of waders with a hairdryer
    3) apply solution to exterior of waders in the area you get wet
    4) bubbles will tell you where to apply goo
    5) once dry, go fishin'
    RFT