Thread: A Non-Flyfishing Question (Hunting Actually)

Default A Non-Flyfishing Question (Hunting Actually)

I apologize for the unusual topic, but I am looking for some advice regarding hunting, and I suspect that many of you both fish and hunt.

My thirteen year old son has been bugging me for some time now about wanting to go hunting. I went a few times as a boy (many years ago), and have little skill in this area. I was wondering if there are classes one can take, not only on hunting safety, but on the skills needed as well. When I took up fly fishing three years ago, I took several classes which were invaluable in learning the sport. Since I would not be much help in this area for my son, I thought perhaps there were classes he could take that could get him started.

While I have little interest in hunting (catch and release can be problematic), I want my son to pursue his own outdoor interests. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I might introduce him to the sport? Thanks for any suggestions.

Phil

Sent you a PM buddy. Ed
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

Jake: Hit it.

Default Hunting....????

Since you don't say what type of hunting your son wants to do, there's very little to advise on. What type of weapon does he want to use (rifle, shotgun, pistol); what type of game/fowl does he want to pursue (Rabbits, varmints, Quail, ducks, Pheasants) Once he/you decide what and how you want to hunt, you can contact DFG for Hunter Safety courses (required for licensing) and, if waterfowling, contact the local chapter of ducks unlimited. Don't know how you feel about the NRA, but they have hunter educational materials, too. The answer to each question you ask will lead to another potential resource.... Gun shops usuallly know where to find classes and clubs, etc. I'm sure you have a friend that hunts and can steer you in the right direction....

Good luck and happy hunting....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

SullyTM Guest

Phil...Plus, you'll have an endless supply of tying materials

Here's the link:

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/huntered/

There's much to be learned long before he decides what the game is.

Gun safety matters...as do orienteering, outdoorsmansip and survival.

Once he can be safe in the elements and with a firearm then the second order problem of what to hunt can be focused on safely.

I can barely speak the NRA's name these days without a rise in blood pressure but I did get some invavluable hunter safety training from them back in my younger days.

As mentioned there are gun clubs and game specific conservation groups that can help out too.

I would shy away from the online courses...this is an area where good enough isn't.

Lastly, one of the most important aspects of safety is in who you hunt with. I know I can be safe on my own and have always been particualr about who I hunt with. I want to know I'm as safe with them as they are with me.

Good Luck!

Nip
    Education is the ability to listen to almost anything without losing your temper or your self-confidence. Robert Frost

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Ed, I just wanted to let you know that I didn't receive the PM you mentioned. Perhaps it got stuck in the outbox.

Phil

That's ok Phil, these guys pretty much summed it up. I would add that you do have a friend that hunts. I hunt upland birds with some Gordon Setters and the season runs until the end of the month. If you'd like you guys could tag along. I always love the chance to share some of what I have in the outdoors. Since this is a flyfishing board shoot me an email. ED
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

Jake: Hit it.