Thread: Accident on Yuba today

Default Accident on Yuba today

Floated the Yuba today in my usual craft, a canoe with stabilizers. It has always done the job. But we took the wrong line in the wrong place and got hung up, swamped and drenched. The canoe mangled. It was terrifying. We lost the butt section to a 5wt Sage XP, an Orvis PM10 7wt, a Sage VPS 6wt, an Orvis Battenkill 8/9 reel, an Orvis Battenkill Large Arbor and extra spool, a Ross Cimarron reel, 2 rubber nets, small gear bag etc. Anyone finds them please let me know. I feel awful my friend lost his gear.
    Here's the problem. The mangled canoe is still in the river. I cannot get to it in the deep pool. It remains anchored about a 1/4 mile upstream from Sycamore. Does anybody have an idea how I can get it out? I do not want to leave this kind of trash in the river. The Yuba has always treated me well. Any help would be appreciated. Where could I dispose of an old canoe?
    I feel like an ass but am happy to be alive tonight.
    Thanks in advance.
    "Safety was never compromised." Laura Brown, FAA spokeswoman

I have no idea how to get it out, but I am glad you are safe. That's alot of nice gear, but it can be replaced, lives cannot!
    “To me the indescribable sense of anticipation and mystery in simply going fishing is almost half the fun.” - Robert Traver

Default Drowned Canoe

Billy,

My next door neighbor is the water sheriff for that area. I will talk with him about it tomarrow. He does all of the body recovery and water accident work for Yuba Co. clear up to Engelbright.

As for what to do with the canoe?,,,,Is it aluminum? Recycle Center if it is.

I'll stay in touch but in the meantime you should call and report the accident to the Yuba Co. Sheriff's Dept. and ask for Sgt.Bill Siler.

TONY

I think you are going to need a stout tree, a winch, and someone brave enough with the correct gear to go in the river and hook it up. There is a river here that I floated several times over the years and in one stretch there are 5 or 6 canoes wrapped around rocks. I hate that section.

You are lucky! I have had two life threatening experiences. They happen so fast but you will never ever forget them. Count your lucky stars (or whatever) but don't let this keep you from doing what you love too do. You can replace all the gear and the canoe but not the lives of you and your buddy. (you might check with your homeowners insurance to see if anything is covered)

I don't think you should risk your life to get that canoe out of the river now.

It's too cold and dangerous.

It is great that no one was hurt or drowned.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Glad you're safe. I agree with Bill that you shouldn't worry about it right now. However later on I suggest you contact one of the rafting guide services in the area and ask their advice. They've probably dealt with similar situations.

Just a thought.

Tony,
    I'll wait to hear from you. I'll call the Yuba sheriff this morning. Thanks for all the good thoughts guys. This message board is full of amazing fishermen and very knowledgeable water people.
    "Safety was never compromised." Laura Brown, FAA spokeswoman

Hi Billy,
    Glad you are safe.

If the water level fluctuates the canoe may unwrap from the rock by itself.

I wouldn't try to get the canoe off the rock unless you had alot of help from knowledgeble people with safety gear.

I'm a little concerned about the rope anchoring the boat. If the rope is across the river where other boaters might cross then it's a hazard to them.

Good Luck
    Mark

Glad to hear you and your friend are fine Billy. Things like this happen in the blink of an eye (sometimes it can seem like slow motion...unreal).

I was on the Yuba with Keith Kaneko two days ago. We were talking about how much the river course has changed since last year.

I too would follow the advice of Tony and the other folks that have posted.

Step 1. Document the accident with the Yuba Co. Sheriff's Dept. and ask for Sgt.Bill Siler.

Step 2. Don't attempt to do the work yourself (or with friends). Let professionals handle the salvage operation. They are trained for swift water rescue and ultra demanding situations.

Step 3. My guess is that the salvage work would probably be handled when the river flow drops in intensity and volume.

With respect, Ken
    Love the challenge...What try? No try. Just do!