Thread: christmas island gear + LL bean stripping basket

Default christmas island gear + LL bean stripping basket

Well, counting the days until my dad and i depart for x-mas island. I'm putting together lists for terminal tackle, and was wondering if anybody who has fished there has any suggestions? Planning on taking the average bonefish flies (crazy charlies, gotchyas, x-mas island specials, i've been tying them in 4's and 6's with pretty big eyes), leaders i was thinking 9 footers tapering down from 8 to 16 pound, plus wire leaders for cuda, and some bigger tarpon/billfish leaders for GT's, and all the offshore fish, and for flies i've been tying whistlers, but should prolly pick up some other big baitfish patterns and poppers. Anybody had any success there on milkfish? algae flies? Is a stripping basket an assett to have along? I've searched the web for LL bean's discontinued stripping basket with no success. Thanks in advance -Loren

Hi Loren

We started going to Christmas Island with groups of customers in 1985 shortly after the fishing program started there.

Personally I led 13 groups there over the years and my staff has all been there many times as well.

Our favorite fly is a pearl orange sparse Charlies. Next would be a gold sparse Charlie. We used other colors like copper and pearl as well.

Have them in three sizes:

#6 with medium bead chain eyes for shallow water (12"deep)

#6 with nickel dumbbell eyes for deeper water (18"-24" deep)

#4 with dumbbell eyes for deeper water with a tide movement/flow (24" to 36" deep).

We only use a little Krystal Flash or Flashabou for a sparse tail and wing.

We like Japanese Stainless Steel hooks with the barb smashed down.

It is 100% lovely wading there which sets it apart from many other Bonefish destinations. Lots of light colored bottom so you can see the fish easier. Be sure to have really good quality Polarized glasses in Light brown, amber, yellow or copper. If you need a prescription to drive, you need it for seeing Bonefish.

Be careful down there because it is easy to get a really bad sun burn because of the light colored flats.

There are virtually no bugs to speak of either.

PS: Never saw anyone with a stripping basket on the flats wading yet.

Maybe on an edge where you can wade or in the surf or out of a boat.

Be sure to give us a full report.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Hey Loren,
    I believe orvis has a similar basket to the LLBean basket, but not quite as nice and twice the price.

I called LLBean as I'm looking for a spare. Apparently, they ran out and only will have more in stock for next fishing season (i.e. the spring).

I have heard rumors of a local shop to me that has some in their store. I will call and check when they open at 10. I'll let ya know what I find.

I know you can get by without a basket, but once you start using one your long distance casting to number of false casts is usually improved quite a bit.
    I wouldn't fish without one in the california surf. Fishing in Baja having a basket allowed me to run and shoot line with minimal false casting.
    I guess going somewhere remote like that, its better to have it and not need it, then need it and not have it.
    Plus they make a great place to store your reels in your luggage.

-Paul

Sorry. No luck at the shop. Looks like the orvis basket is the next best thing unless you want to make your own.
    -Paul

well thanks for trying paul, i was really surprised in my web searches that there arn't any stores still carrying it. I guess i'll have to reconsider the orvis basket

Hey Loren,
    No problemo. If I had gone ahead and bought the spare I could have sent it to ya.
    Still probably worth picking one up in the spring when they have em in stock again. The orvis basket is fine...just a bit more cramped for the long term.
    -Paul