Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Question for Jerry

Mike M., I find your explanation intriguing. I've heard other fly anglers refer to them as "green trash fish" and it was clear, from the context in which they were speaking, that they did not intend any "term of endearment." It makes me wonder if these folks picked up on the use of this moniker but somehow missed its intended use as a "term of endearment" and thus, unfortunately, "learned" to use this term in its literal sense -- in other words, that these are indeed to be considered a green "trash" fish.
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

Default Well, I guess there will always be the ten percenters……

and I guess we’ll have to learn to live with ‘em! Years ago, several of us picked up the term “green trash fish” from I don’t know where. We used it to “mock” all the folks that were overtaking the delta in their new bass boats and runnin’ WOT from one end of the delta to the other in pursuit of the “Glory fish”. Most of them had no clue about the delta black bass fishery but they were doin’ their best imitation of Roland Martin or somebody. Anyway it was entertaining to watch them and some have evolved into knowledgeable delta bassers.

We did and still do, treasure “our” “green trash fish”. I guess we were kinda’ protesting that, in our perception, a lot of those folks were forgetting what fishin’ is all about and were in a constant contest with everybody else. Something that was an anathema to us. (and still is.)

As far as the naysayers’ comments about fly rodding for largemouth go, there are folks that are always willing to cut their noses off to spite their faces. There are those fly rod purists that think the only legitimate fly fishin’ is with a dry on technical water (which BTW, I also enjoy.) However they manage to miss out on a lot of exciting fishin by maintaining that attitude…

For instance, some would quibble with fishing for 20lb+ Lake Trout in 90’ water, by making a 100’cast using a lead core head with a 8” bunch of chicken feathers on the end, then counting down to 125-30 and calling it fly fishin’.. There just isn’t anything much better than strippin’ your fly back almost vertical and watching a fish on the chart recorder leave the group down on the bottom and follow your fly up to about 50’ then just about yank your rod outta’ your hands….

Others might think that casting a KDM Rat over the mats in the delta isn’t conventional fly fishin’ either, but I’ll tell ya’, the heart stopping’ blow ups make O.K. for me.

To each his own, Huh??

Mike

Green Trash Fish

Delta Rats - That sounds good to me Sounds like some hard nose, punk fish that gives up a good fight.

I've been lagging, but I definitely plan on tying up some KDM Rats this winter for next summer. Topwater mat busting is definitely a ticket to some potentially very big bass. A relaxing way to fish too until that toilet flushing strike occurs.
    -- Mike

Hey Hairstacker,

I don't know if you have the KDM Rat tying instructions or not. Any way here's a tutorial for the Rat:

http://www.flyfishnorcal.org/php-nuk...howpage&pid=86

Have Fun!!
    Mike

Thank you Mike, I really appreciate the website reference! Those instructions and accompanying photos are outstanding.
    -- Mike

Hi Mike,

I have heard the LMB conventional guys call Stripers "turd bass".

Some people fish only for Stripers and some fish only for LMB.

Many fly fishers fish for both though.

I love all those bass........
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Default Bill,...

"Turd Bass" Yep! Another reason that we used "green trash fish" to "mock" the LMB gear guys was the fact that they have no respect for stripers..I'm like you I love 'em all
    Mike

Come on you all know that a striper is nothing but a carp in a tuxedo

Quote Originally Posted by Sacto John
    Come on you all know that a striper is nothing but a carp in a tuxedo
    You got that right!