Thread: Steelheads

Default Steelheads

I have spent most of my time fly fishing in pursuit of land locked 'bows in lakes, small streams, and just about everywhere else they exist, in from CA to BC. Now I hit that stage where you begin to look around for bigger, badder, better fish, aka steelhead. Any pointers on what to use, and where to go this time of yr? Thanks.
    -Nick

Nick,
    There are steelies in pretty much all the rivers that get em right now. The closest to Davis would be the American and then the Feather. I'd suggest going in to the shop when you get a chance and talking to some of the guys there. They'll show you where to go, how to rig up and fish, and what flies work best.
    In my limited experience, and as mentioned by some of the guys in other posts, the two most important things in fishing for steelhead are fishing good holding water and getting a good drift. I can't empahsize the getting a good drift part enough. In my opinion, these two factors are far more important than having the exact right fly. Also, if you can afford to hire a guide or have the chance to fish with someone who has some experience, the learning curve will be greatly accelerated.
    Be warned - once you hook one of those bad boys, your life could change forever. They're insane!
    Good luck.
    patrick