Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Entomology Pictures?

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Grace
    Are you taking these picture back at home?
    Mostly on site, on the river or lakes. Like the Local Waters around here, North Fork Toulumne, South Fork & Middle Fork Stanislaus Rivers, and some small creeks. Beardsley AB and Lake, Melones, etc...& Traveling over the Pass to Kirmen Lake...

North Fork Toulumne River, Damsel nymph (The tail is the strangest I've found anywhere)

When I worked Kirmen I was amazed at the different colors on the Damsels. Here's a couple..

Or corse it's Scud heaven in Kirmen

Slim

Nice pictures, does your camera get super close to them or are these pictures cropped and enlarged to become full frame?
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

It'll take a while to save $1,000 for a good lens !!
    There are some great macro lens for much less than $1,000. Tamron, Sigma and Tokina all make great
    macro lenses. These are all around $400, and being macro lenses they are all sharp.

I also have a d50, and just yesterday i picked up a vivitar series 1 90mm 2.5 macro for $130. This lens is
    just about as good as it gets, but it is completely manual, (no metering, manual-focus, and stop down aperture).
    This lens is 30 years old, but it is awesome.

Other old manual focus lenses to look for are the tokina 90mm 2.5, vivitar series 1 105mm 2.8, and the
    kiron 105 2.8. It seems as though you are taking pictures of the bugs in some type of holding container,
    so having to manually adjust everything won't be that bad.

Here are some shots from today with the vivitar. They are from my back yard, so they are completely NFF.

Quote Originally Posted by bolden
    It'll take a while to save $1,000 for a good lens !!
    There are some great macro lens for much less than $1,000. Tamron, Sigma and Tokina all make great
    macro lenses. These are all around $400, and being macro lenses they are all sharp.

I also have a d50, and just yesterday i picked up a vivitar series 1 90mm 2.5 macro for $130. This lens is
    just about as good as it gets, but it is completely manual, (no metering, manual-focus, and stop down aperture).
    This lens is 30 years old, but it is awesome.

Other old manual focus lenses to look for are the tokina 90mm 2.5, vivitar series 1 105mm 2.8, and the
    kiron 105 2.8. It seems as though you are taking pictures of the bugs in some type of holding container,
    so having to manually adjust everything won't be that bad.

What are the aperture rating on those lens? (Smallest-Largest?)
    manual is not a bad thing, that's why I got a SLR...More control !!!!

Well A friend of mine Has a lens with all the bells and whistles (for his D200 )
    and you can't believe the pictures !!!!!!!
    Anti Shake and all......his is "Part Auto/Part Manual" Which, again,
    is a good thing.

I do have to show you one picture I took with the D50 using the 55-200mm kit lens..

Amazing how an ugly nymph turns into a beautiful fly ....

Slim

Default Re: Entomology Pictures?

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Grace
    Do you guys have any cool aquatic insect pictures to share?
    Actually ........

I have more than a few shots of NYMPHS ....... some are doing ths 'mating-dance' .

No , I won't post them ..... this is a 'G' rated site .

I do like the bug photos , please carry on .

David

You guys have some great shots! I didn't expect shots like these. I envy you guys with Digital SLRs.
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

What are the aperture rating on those lens? (Smallest-Largest?)
    For the old manual lenses, the 90mm tokina and vivitar are 2.5-22, the kiron 105mm is 2.8-32,
    and the vivitar 105mm is 2.5-32.

For the newer lenses, they are all 2.8-32.

Well A friend of mine Has a lens with all the bells and whistles (for his D200 )
    That must be the 105mm 2.8 AF-S VR...... If i was rich i would have that, as well as the d200, as well as a
    lot of other things. I don't need all those extras so i am just trying so save up for different lenses.

That must be the 105mm 2.8 AF-S VR...... If i was rich i would have that, as well as the d200, as well as a
    lot of other things. I don't need all those extras so i am just trying so save up for different lenses.
    Yep. that's it. His pictures are very stunning..

A BWO

Slim