Thread: Oroville Wildlife area roads question

Default Oroville Wildlife area roads question

OK so we are headed up to the Feather for the first time this weekend with our club and Saturdays weather is not looking ideal (rain and 8mph wind). Does anyone know what the roads in the wildlife area low flow section might be like in the rain? I have a 4WD but prefer not to get stuck.
    John

Default wild life area roads

If it does not rain the roads are pretty good. Pretty slow driving as the roads are not graded very often, alot of driving on bed rock that is sunk in the dirt. 4x4 is always good. If it rains I suggest you stay on the levee"s
    as much as possible. When the rains come it can get kinda messy. Just get out and check before treading. Caution is a good thing.

Burl

Default Wildlife Area

For the most part you'll have a hard surface to drive on. The problem is the loose round rocks will slip like crazy especially if wet. Sometimes even now driving down to the water the rock will spread and you'll spin tires even dry. I'm down there regularly with 4WD only and there are plenty of places to high center so the best advice is to stay where its flat with crushed gravel and stay off the round loose stuff. It may mean a little more walking but it's better than spending the afternoon digging out a vehicle in the rain.
    TONY

Thanks for the feedback guys.
    John

Default Re: Oroville Wildlife area roads question

Quote Originally Posted by janbfishinfolk
    OK so we are headed up to the Feather for the first time this weekend with our club and Saturdays weather is not looking ideal (rain and 8mph wind). Does anyone know what the roads in the wildlife area low flow section might be like in the rain? I have a 4WD but prefer not to get stuck.
    Hey, if you have a 4wd you wont have a problem. There are only about 3 access points on the low flow below the 162 bridge, and the roads are cake even in 2wd. The parking area of matthews has alot of loose gravel that snags people in 2wd, so you should park close to the road their. The road is hard as rock, so water wont get you, its the loose rock that gets you (in 2wd). Fishing is fairly slow, unless you get a guide who can drift you a long distance. One of the posters in this thread is a guide with very economical rates. Probably the best guide for the Feather is Lonnie Boles who will take you in a jet boat so can redo runs, plus is a legendary fisherman out of the fly shop in redding.

You might want to wait a week for your trip, all these rains should bring in more fish.

Thanks for all the good info Steve - I would put it off but we are commited now - oh well we can always go back.
    John