Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trinity River Report 11/4/06

Heard there was lots of poison oak and rattle snakes up there on the Trinity River?
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Yea Bill that's true, mostly only from Oct. thru Jan. though
    Ya don't know, if ya don't go!

mike

ycflyfisher, it was great talking with you and watch you catch fish after fish on the little point there. We actually tried to go there on Sunday morning but the place was already packed by 7am. We are pretty sure that we saw you in the same spot. Did you have the same outcome Sunday as you did on Saturday? We ended up fishing a couple of nice riffles a few miles downstream and on our way back we noticed Arizona tags and were thinking that Bruce may have caught up with you.

For what it's worth, I saw a few poisonous plants but I am not itchy. And I think that it's too cold now for rattlesnakes. If they are there, at this time of year they are moving VERY slowly.

Mark

It is really great to see how well the Trinity River is fishing these days.

It is really good to see the younger generation getting bonded with Steelheading.

In the '80s when it was very poor returns of Steelhead on the Trinity and Klamath Rivers I was very sad.

Thanks for posting the great report and wonderful photos Mark.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

yc - It was great to meet you as well and share what I am sure was such a rare opportunity. After you left our friend that you were gracious enough to share your spot with ended up hooking into 2 really nice fish on the opposite side of the river from where you were fishing. I am sure it was due to your helpful insight.

hokies1994,

Awesome trip! Remember it well because steelheading days like you experienced are far and few between for the most part.

Thanks for your report and posting the pics (even though it's a pain).

Welcome to the board!

Ron
    fly: Very light artificial fly fishing lure of which there are two types: the dry fly which isn't supposed to sink the way it just did; and the wet fly, which shouldn't be floating up on the surface like that. An Angler's Dictionary.

Ron, my last two Trinity River experiences (beginning of October and beginning of November) were similar and I know that it is abnormal. But I don't care. I'm addicted. I'm heading back up in early December and I wish it was sooner.

Mark

Go get 'em! I've been long addicted and I don't even have to catch a fish to consider my steelhead trip successful!

Ron
    fly: Very light artificial fly fishing lure of which there are two types: the dry fly which isn't supposed to sink the way it just did; and the wet fly, which shouldn't be floating up on the surface like that. An Angler's Dictionary.

Hokies/JSP,

We got down to that spot several hours before the sun came up the next morning. The river flow had dropped about 0.9 feet in elevation and there was no current on the weak side where I was catching the fish the day before. I guess the old adage "What a difference a day makes..." applies here. I was a bit disappointed to say the very least. I ended up just fishing long enough to land one before I went home. Glad to hear that your buddy from Redding got into some fish.