Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Disturbing to say the least....

Default Disturbing to say the least....

I went out to the walking bridge on the "William B Pond" side yesterday. Beautiful Monday to get off work early and fish. The main run was full of fishermen both Fly and Gear. As I stepped into the slot a guy hooked into a nice silver and landed it. He took it to shore and cut it open to find the eggs and bagged them. I have no problem with someone keeping fish from time to time but something told me this guy had no idea what consevation was. Maybe it was his screaming at the top of his lungs "Female I killed a Female". At that time some of the others on that side shook their heads and continued to fish only to see that same guy rip into another fish. It was a turning salmon about 25 lbs as far as I could tell. He takes it to shore and beginns stomping on it shooting the eggs out and screaming the same war cry "Female I killed a Female". If that wasn't enough, he left the eggs on the shore and came back to fish. I had enough and started in on this derelict. I really tried to cross that river and give him more than just words.

If all of us are trying to make this world a better place, this world needs to get rid of people like that. Sorry for the rant just needed to blow some steam.

Aren't silvers protected by law and totally catch and release in CA? If it was a silver salmon the guy should definitely be in big trouble.

Now if it was a King (chinook) if the guy ripped out the eggs and didn't keep the fish, regardless of what kind of fish it is, then call the caltip poachers hotline. That's waste of game which is a violation. Just be careful and do it discreetly. Don't get in a conflict.

Best,

-John

you are correct bigtj. I mean a crome or not turned yet. I did call but if you don't know the guys name and no one is around at the time I don't think they will do anything. I am sure there will be a F.G. official patroling down there for a few days.

Try to get license plates and pictures if you can, again discreetly. DF&G always asks for license plates.

Thanks for the heads up.

-John

Thats just awfull! I cant believe people can be so rebellious toward such a volitile resource. That guy has a reservation in the hottest, darkest corner of hell.

Jay

Someone should stomp on that idiot to see if eggs start shooting out of HIS ass!
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

I have to agree with Adam - my size 14's should do nicely. There should be a law that if you are caught doing something like that not only do you lose your fishing privledges for good but none of your children are ever allowed to fish, ever. That could stop folks like that from passing on their disrespect for nature.
    John

Its sad we have to live in this heavily populated area.

Salmon runs bring out the weirdest people.

I have seen them snag old salmon that were nearly dead and take them home. The fish were a reddish brown color with fungus. They call them " smokers".

Some conventional anglers do kill salmon just for the roe to later fish for Steelhead. I think if they leave the salmon it might be illegal.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Grace
    Someone should stomp on that idiot to see if eggs start shooting out of HIS ass!
    If I made it across, I would have had a few eggs in bag. Maybe a few teeth. I usually stay pretty calm in situations like that but for some reason, a lunar shift, didn't eat my wheaties or Starbucks shorted me my 3rd shot I lost it.

Try to get license plates and pictures if you can, again discreetly. DF&G always asks for license plates.
    Thanks for the info! I will do that any time I see another Jack Ares in the future.

Oh well. At least I feel better ... thanks all

Default Roe as Bait....????

This practice of deliberately catching a Salmon, removing the Roe and wasting the flesh or carcass is something I have very strong feelings about. Under another thread, I asked the question of the BB community if "Roe as Bait" should be banned (Mainly because of this practice).... It seems to me that anyone wasting wild game or fish flesh/roe has committed an unforgiveable act. I have no objection to taking a Salmon, removing the Roe for curing/eating and taking the carcass home, too.

I guess some would argue that a Salmon carcass degrades into the biomass
    for the benefit of all in the acquatic envrionment but these fish would die anyway. Why not let it spawn if you're not going to use the flesh....

Regardless of whether it's legal or not, this wasteful practice should be banned/discouraged.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown