Thought I'd update folks on the local SF Bay Area surf scene. I've been fishing a couple of beaches in the Marin & Santa Cruz/Monterey area on the weekends, chasing after the resident surfperch. Recently, the activity has been picking up after a brief lull last month. Most of the fish in the Monterey area have been small BSP's...

...though a few slightly larger fish make an appearance from time to time...

Up north, I've encountered schools of small calico, redtail & silver surfperch along the west-facing shores of Pt. Reyes...

There's been a persistent slick of redtide that's been dogging the Monterey & northern Marin coastlines, so the surf can look terrific one day, then turn into tomato soup the next day. Many of the beaches still feature wide, deep sandy berms left over from this summer's normal accumulation of sediment, as well as a lot of "salad" that washes up during the incoming tides. It'll take a couple of good powerful storms from Alaska along with a few spring tides to flush the excess sand away & create the intricate shoreline structure for the mating perch this winter.

TL's

- Mark