Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: salmon poisoning

Default salmon poisoning

Just a reminder, I recently brought home a 21 in Jack from the Klamath just above Mettah. I cleaned him on the river to put him in my smoker. My golden licked my cutting board before I told her to get out ( my fault ).
    Within 6 days she was deathly sick with fever and lack of appetite. She is fine now with 3 days in the hospital and plenty of meds, I almost lost her. Please be careful the fish in that region are notorious for this bacteria.

Both salmon and steelhead will get your dog sick. If your dog is going to be a fishing dog just give it a chunk and after a few days go get the meds from the vet. After doing this (some did it on their own) all the dogs I've had ate salmon/steelhead and never never got sick again. Talk this over with your vet first. It is a hill billy way to deal with the problem , but if your dog is going to be around the river it will get sick sooner or later and by the time you notice , it could be to late to bring them around.

Mark

[quote="sculpin"]Both salmon and steelhead will get your dog sick. If your dog is going to be a fishing dog just give it a chunk and after a few days go get the meds from the vet. After doing this (some did it on their own) all the dogs I've had ate salmon/steelhead and never never got sick again. Talk this over with your vet first.

Dont do this to your dog. It is total bs to say that once they get it they cant get it again. My 9 yr old sheppard mix got his second time last winter while i was on the olympic pennisula . The vet that treated it in forks said his dog has had it three times. It is caused by a parsite that mostly lives in steelhead. Just keep an eye on your dog, While you are on the river. If it starts vomiting a week after you go fishing get it to the vet. That day.

Shawn
    Yes it is true there is a strain of salmon fever dogs can get again. The Vets I have used have told me it isn't to common though. I'm not a Vet and would suggest anyone with a fishing dog consult with their own Vet. I have been on Salmon rivers with my dogs for 30 years and have never had a dog get it twice. Maybe my dogs are lucky.
    As I said in my first post consult with your vet first.

Mark

This is Roy my current fishing dog. He's 11years old and still helping out so to speak.

Good looking dog..... More pictures of Roy if you will...... Thanks

Frank

Here are a few more pictures of Roy " Helping".

Here he's helping Jbird

I don't know who he was helping in theis pcture

This is how he spends his down time

Mark

I fish with Roy enough to have a few good pics too. He is quite a character

Default Roy....

Man, those are great pic's. The one of Roy during his "downt time" reminds me.... I gotta go take a nap....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Thanks Mark...... I like that dog.... I had a similar dog that loved to ride in my bass boat.... He would stand on the front deck at 75 mph....Good memories...... Frank

Hey Frank
    Roy is like that also. If i'm not paying attention he gets up on the bow like a hood ornament on my sled.

Darian
    Hmmmm. My wife says there isn't a lot of difference between male dogs and men. I wonder what she means by that.