Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Awa on a 5wt

Default Teeny Rods

Hey Jay, the Teeny rods are very nice. The TiCR X is the fastest, then TiCR, then the Teeny. It is a little faster than the Pro series. I think the tip is more sensitive, and is great for nymphing and was designed as a salmon/steelhead rod. I think it has a very nice reel seat and I like the ferrules and the color is also my favorite, british racing green. I have one in the 8wt and this 5wt. I have tried the others, but kept these two models. I think you would enjoy the 10wt. What is so nice about the TFO rods is the consistency you get in each line. Each Teeny rod feels like every other rod, just one line wt heavier or lighter. I have many 8wts and this rod is a nice blend of power and sensitivity. You should give it a try. Good luck, Don.
    Don Memmer

Default My bad

Sorry Jay I miss read your post. The Teeny rods are all 9foot rods. The Pro series does have a number of different 10 foot rods, 5/6/7/8/9 wts all come in 10foot lenghts. I hope this helps. Don.
    Don Memmer

Don,

I’m trying to get away to O’ahu next month for a long weekend, Nov 9, 10, 11, and 12th. Today, I was in Bill Kiene’s shop shopping for a backup 8 weight for my St Croix 8 weight travel rod. St Croix has replaced it twice, so I’m now on the 3rd rod. Definitely need a backup! After reading about your 5 wt milkfish, I was thinking about the TFO 4 piece Professional Series 8 wt, but we couldn’t find a 30” metal tube for it. My St Croix metal tube is 30-3/16” long and just fits diagonally in my 29” rolling duffle bag. Any ideas?

The wind is usually on my back at Wailupe, so I would like to master casting from side to side out in front of me. Guess it takes a real fast rod to snap the fly line back and forth like that? Can you do it with any of the TFO rods? My St Croix is way to soft.

If a faster rod is what you want, the TFO professional is probably not gonna fit the bill. The TiCrx is a really sweet, fast rod...with tons of muscle. I would like to cast the teeny series...I bet thats a sweet rod.

I had the same problem with factory rod tubes, so i made my own out of schedule 40 PVC. It has a 3000 lb crush rating and you can make it any length you want. I can fit my 4pc. 8wt TiCrx in 2" diameter schedule 40 pvc. and fit it diagonally in my checked bag. I made a rod tube out of 3" PVC for 2 four pc. rods, Much to my amazement, If I laid out 3, four peice rods, with 2 handles on one end and one handle on the other, I could roll all 3 rods up(all protected in their individual sock) and barely fit them into the tube. It took a couple tries of getting the stripping guides turned the right way, but I was able to fit my 8, 10 and 12wt rods into that thing and carry it on for travel.

Jay

Default Faster rods, younger women older whiskey

Aloha, a faster rod would be the TiCR x model. The Teeny is fast but a softer tip. The TiCR is in between both of them. For the trades I would go with the TiCR X. For the money it is a great rod, as are all of the TFO's. I like the Teeny as a Bonefish rod because I am usually focusing on the subtle take as I bounce the fly on the bottom. It has a more sensative feel for that type of fishing, but plenty of punch, and it has backbone for big strong fish, like awa.
    I have a teacher conference on the 2nd of november and was thinking about staying at a friends to go chase some oahu bones again. So we will see.
    Travel cases. I have a cabela's bag that holds 4 rods in the side. I would also suggest buying the TFO triangular case or the circular case for your rod. Of course if you are taking a bunch, I have a pelican case that holds like 10 rods and is pretty bullet proof. If you are just bringing a couple of rods, then tape them together and try and carry them on. TFO does sell rod cases that are great for travel, ask Bill for details. Check the TFO website, and they will have pictures. I hope this helps, Don.
    Don Memmer

Awa, awa'aua, kagami...oh my!

Hey Don, I was curious as to what size tippet/leader you used to catch the ladyfish - their raspy mouths have nasty way of abrading or sawing through 8 lb or lighter mono once the line crosses their jaw. The ones I've encountered back there were pretty line shy - 4-6 lb mono seemed to be the ticket, though it resulted in many break-offs whenever the fish jumped.

Love your holo'holo reports - keep 'em coming!

mahalo,

Mark

Don,

Thanks for the info, and good luck with your trip to O’ahu. If you plan to fish near Wailupe, then remember that most of the fly fishing is done at Kawaikui Park, and it’s the next park down the road towards Hawaii Kai

Here is the URL for an Enlarged more detailed aerial photo of Kawaikui:

http://www.soest.hawaii.edu/coasts/o...i/kawaikui.jpg

There is a large tree to the left when looking out from the parking lot at Kawaikui, and most guys wade out towards Hawaii Kai from there to fish the sandy area. I don’t fish that water, because it only takes one fly fisherman to spook the entire area. I have seen as many as 7 guys fly fishing there, plus when the tide comes in it get too deep in some places. Especially, directly in front of the park where everyone ends up because of the tide, trades, and morning sun pushing them all in that direction.

You will notice a nice sand channel that runs all the way into the beach in the left side of the aerial photo. That is on my list for next month.

The flats at Barbers Point and Campbell Industrial Park are supposed to be great bone fishing, but the neighborhood is too rough for me. The homeless from Honolulu now camp in that area, and I have seen large groups of teenagers roaming around. There was a recent write up in the papers about the problem. Sounds like a good place to loose your rental car.

Hickam Flats or Kane’ohe Bay would be great if Honolulu Gator will take you out in his flats boat. Hint-Hint!

Default Mahalos

Howzit Guys, Mike I normally use 12lb fluro. I got the awa on 10lb. I think I got the ladyfish on 12lb. They do have teeth. The only thing I catch without teeth here are the awa and the yellow spot papio. Everything else will cut you off given enough time.
    Black Sheep, that looks like a good spot. I think the guys from nervous waters hit there. I might give Gator a call. I think he wants to go big time with his boat and all. There has been some talk of another fly shop opening up and that would be great for the sport on oahu. I know th bones are big over there, but I really like the Big Island, I see way more fish over here. When I go there I try and target the bones, but usually get bored and then try to catch what ever is around. I like being mor opportunistic in my fishing. Thanks again for the pictures. The car breakins there are bad. I caught a guy in the act at makapuu when I was surfing and the cops let him go. It was unbelievable. Mems.
    Don Memmer