Thread: What weight rod? Bass, steelhead, Pyramid Lake...

Default What weight rod? Bass, steelhead, Pyramid Lake...

I normally fish trout on my Sage 5wt, but after reading your reports on the delta, I'm itching to catch some of those LMB. Especially on top water bugs.

What I really want is a rod to do all of the following: LMB, summer and winter run steelies up by the state line, cutts at Pyramid (even though I have yet to fish there). But I know I should probably get an 8wt too.

I already get irritated enough throwing wind resistant strike indicators, BB's, and weighted nymphs on my 5 wt . I used to load a 6wt line on my 5wt, which was recommended by Ralph Cutter in his book "Sierra Trout Guide." But I recently replaced all my equipment and went with a matching line, Rio Nymph taper and I HATE IT I'm stickin with SAnglers next time.

Anyway, what would you recommend as far as an all around rod wt for the species mentioned above? The only experience I have on catching LMB is on a small pond where I caught nice browns in the spring and fall, and 10-12" LMB in the summer, mostly on nymphs and buggers.

Thanks, James.

Of the species you've listed, I feel most confident about speaking to largemouth bass in the Delta. For that, my current go-to rod is a 7 wt. rod. Truth be told, though, I would prefer a 6 wt. for 95% of the bass I catch out there but I use a 7 wt. just in case. . . . I know many guys would prefer an 8 wt. or even higher for this application, but to me it just wouldn't be much fun. With a 7 wt., you'll be able to easily and very quickly whip any bass under 5 lbs unless he wraps himself around something. In over 100 trips out there in the last 3 years, that has rarely happened to me and, when it has, I either pulled the fish up by the leader or broke him off. In those instances where I had to break off, I don't think a 12 wt. rod would have helped. Just my $.02.
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

I think that a 9'6" 7wt rod will be the best for all of those different types of fishing. The longer length will allow for better distance on Pyramid, that length is also great for steelheading. 9'6" is a little long for bass but it suite the other types of fishing better. My 2 cents.
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

I use a Sage 8wt for all the mentioned tyes of fishing and it works well for me.

K-

Default Fly Rods....(???)

A good, all around weight for rods would be a 7 or 8. Either of those weights will serve your needs. Additional considerations might be the length and action of the rod. You might want to consider whether to acquire a fast or a medium-fast action rod. This choice should be based on the amount of casting you currently do in windy conditions.

Length of the rod should also be based on your personal usage. I believe that a good, all around rod will be in the 8 1/2' to 9' range. Longer rods won't get you any more distance and may actually hinder casting into a wind (such as at Pyramid). I have/used rods up to 10' and found them to be tiring to cast over a long day. They do quite well for "high sticking", tho. (The exception to all of this may be Spey or two handed rods.)

At any rate, if you're close to kiene's, I'd recommend you go there, talk to the staff and do some demo casting before making your choice.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown