View Poll Results: Is bead fishing really fly fishing?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

26 50.98%
  • No

12 23.53%
  • Don't care

12 23.53%
  • Don't know

1 1.96%
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Bead vs. Fly fishing?

Darian...Not at all my friend! As I read and re-read my original post, I thought it necessary to stick my foot further in my mouth Try as I might, I am not much of a literary artist Alot of stuff comes out the wrong way...but I love to talk so it just kinda pops out

Sully. Likewise you are a great example of the integrity of this forum.

J

I like how Darian broke out the DFG Regulations, you should go into some public office Darian. Thanks for the definition.

Even though a bead is not considered a "fly" by the DFG, the method in which it is fished causes me to consider it fly fishing. You still have to cast a fly line, mend, and all that other stuff. If you want to get technical I can "tie" in a tiny tuft of white marabou or flashabou, therefore transforming a bead into a "fly."

To each their own.

P.S. I was not a fan of pegging a bead before last year. Now I know this might open up another previous "can of worms"..... The first time I fished a pegged bead it was 1" above the fly and it worked like a charm, much better than a standard glo-bug. I think if you peg more than 4-5" above a hook that you are in danger of snagging a fish. Although controversial with fly fisherman, pegging is pretty effective when the bead is pegged close to the hook.
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

Default Publc Office....????

Adam,.... I thought we were friends.... I wouldn't wish running for public office on my worst enemy....

One of the issues surrounding all of this topic is the fact that as fly fishing has evolved since the early Greeks, the line between what is defined as a fly and the construction of same has been blurred (in some cases, eliminated). Altho, that's as it should be, it presents a dilema for fisherman (myself included) who like to be able to define things in black/white terms. Just look at the trouble we have defining what is a fly (other than the legal definition). Even the construction of flies has evolved from the use of threads, wax and varnish to epoxy and Zap-A-Gap. Synthetics rule nowadays. Monofilament threads, etc.

Medieval history reflects that life/death duels were fought over whether a specific Atlantic Salmon pattern could be tied with certain materials or not.

Traditionalists may have a very specific view of what a fly is. For example, to some use of a dry fly on a floating line is the only true fly fishing. All else is excluded. On the other side, there's a bunch of guys trying to define things loosely (myself included) so that most anything/everything is OK. That leaves a lot of room for debate. As most of you know, by now, I'm down with that.

I'd still like to hear from anyone who's read the article cited in my prior note.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Medieval history reflects that life/death duels were fought over whether a specific Atlantic Salmon pattern could be tied with certain materials or not.
    Hey Darian,
    I have never heard of this before. What is this all about? Where can I read more about it?
    Thanks,
    Matt

Jay, well said and I'm with you. Had the question not been asked, I wouldn't have given the subject any thought. And if I encountered anyone on a river using beads, I wouldn't think either way about it then either -- I'd just be curious whether they were having any luck and, if they were, I'd no doubt congratulate 'em.

As Thom said, fishing is fishing. And I don't think less of other methods just because I prefer to do otherwise. In fact, I have a son who's favorite approach to fishing is to sit on the bank of a lake and dunk Powerbait for planters while focusing on the snacks we bring -- I plan to join him this spring, we will have fun, and I won't feel the least bit guily/inferior/ashamed/etc., etc.

Bummer you run into so many attitudes on those streams. I mostly fish the Delta and although I never run into other fly fishermen, the vast majority of conventional gear folks I encounter are very friendly. Maybe it has something to do with the vastness of the place. I would suspect ocean guys don't encounter much attitude either. In other words, perhaps it's because no one feels like their fishing spot is being threatened or crowded?
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

Jay nicely said...... here is" My definitons of flyfishing "

1 The art of tying and untying and untying knots either intentional or otherwise"

2 "An outdoor sport,hobby or interest in which seemingly intelligent and capable individual(s) position themselves in,on, or near a body of water,using highly specialized equipment and employing sporadic physical movements of the arm and upper body and colorful metaphors and commands ;in order to control the flyline with the intent of "casting" an artificial lure* into the water away from surrounding trees and bushes, in the hopes of fooling a fish.

*Lure /fly, hook with various material lashed on to resemble something,but,no one really knows what the heck that may be.
    I swear I'll be home by noon this time!!

Mike, I enjoy your definitions. Very "Websters-like"
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

My take on the issue is somewhat consistent with the State's. If it's not tied (or at a minimum applied) on a hook it's not a fly. Therefore I would not consider a bead on the leader, pegged or otherwise to be actually fly fishing by my definition.

That being said, I fish the salmon line up at a favorite spot on the A along side many "fly fishers" employing various bead rigs, heated hooks and melted beads, loose on the leader, etc. We get along great. I use flies and they catch more fish. So bead it, pun intended.

Personally, I would rather lose a dozen flies to the river gods rather than fish with a bare bead on the leader, pegged or otherwise.

MN

Adam.... thanks after that I need a couple of asprin though.
    I swear I'll be home by noon this time!!

Default Duelin'...!!!!!

Matt,.... I can't recall in what book or magazine I read the info about the duels fought over materials, etc., in medieval times. There's a bunch of reading material about the history and possible origin of fly fishing if you're inclined to pursue it. For example, the first recorded use of a concoction that may've been a fly was used by the ancient Greeks. The fly was described as being something close to a wooly worm.

Then there was Dame Julianna Berners (I believe). A British woman who was a fly fisher.... Lotsa neat stuff out there.

At any rate, I have two book cases full of fly fishing/tying books and several boxes of old issues of magazines (Fly Tyer and American Angler) among them. The first of those books, I acquired in approximately 1963 and it was old then. A lot of what is tied up in those books is available on-line using search tools. Even now, articles are being reprinted from the writings of people like Roderick Haig-Brown.

Happy researching Matt
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown