View Poll Results: Is bead fishing really fly fishing?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

26 50.98%
  • No

12 23.53%
  • Don't care

12 23.53%
  • Don't know

1 1.96%
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Bead vs. Fly fishing?

A bead is NOT a fly - same with a Rapala , a plastic worm , or a small HouseCat (all of which I can cast on a flyrod , though I haven't yet tried to toss the Cat ....) .

Will you go to hell for using a plastic bead (or gummy minnow , or plastic worm) ?? Likely , no . But , having said that .... I prefer to use something I've TYED myself .

Use what ya wanna use , as long as you can live with yourself the next day . A bead , pegged or not , can be used exactly the same way that a Glo-bug or Nymph can be used .

By the way , if the bead is more than 5 feet (give or take a couple ....) away from the weight (or slinky , if you're a savage) ... then it's a SNAGGING rig - simple as that .

There you have it .

David

Excellent post darian! You are absolutely right. If the regs are flyfishing only, you must adhere to "flies only"...which means no beads. or panther martins...or dick knights.....

Jay

Jay, you can't deny that fly fishing does have a long tradition to it. As a reflection of that tradition, even to this day, there are certain streams in England where you are ONLY permitted to cast a dry fly upstream to sighted fish. Given the opportunity, would I be willing to restrict myself to the rules of those streams and be happy? You bet! That's how the game is defined in those places, and I think it'd be a blast to try to succeed under those restrictions.

I wish I could explain it better but it's like a lot of activities where you set your own boundaries. Take bowling -- a lot of guys don't see an issue with sliding over the line when they release the ball. Or take golf -- some guys don't think twice about taking a 2nd free tee shot when the first one veers off into the woods. I think we all define our own lines somewhere. . . .

For my enjoyment of the sport, a definition of fly fishing has to involve more than just the mere use of a fly rod, reel and line. Otherwise, I start to lose sight of the whole point of it all. Which is why I have yet to "fly fish" with a Senko on the end of the tippet, even though I KNOW there are certain times and conditions when it would be FAR more effective than any "fly" I might employ. (Don't think I haven't felt temped! )

If my primary goal was catching lots of fish, I never would have taken up fly fishing in the first place, as I was doing great with conventional gear. So good at times, in fact, that I got bored with it one time and went out and bought my first fly rod the next day. FOR ME, the challenge and excitement that keeps me going back is catching fish on flies. I could really care less how others want to do it. By the way, I agree, anger or condescending attitudes toward others' approaches, whatever they may be (aside from snagging!), should have no place in any of this.
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

Tye a bead to a hook with fly tying thread and it meets CA definition of a fly! AK has a similar regulation and that's exactly how they do it up there in their FFO waters! CA doesn't have any FFO waters so it's a moot point, but AK does!

Default Beads vs Flies.....????

Bob,.... Be careful about applying what's done in AK to what's being done here. Tying a bead to a hook may not be seen as "....constructed by the method known as fly tying" by law enforcement here. I sure wouldn't want to defend your position in a California court. I can see it now, "but.... judge.... I tied the bead to the hook. So, it's a fly according to the regs...." I wouldn't worry much about it, tho.

At any rate, you are correct about there being no FFO waters in CA. There is a reason that California doesn't designate CA waters as fly only. Recall that the regs say that a "fly" may be an artificial lure. By using that definition, they regs may be written using the statement, "Only artificial lures with barbless hooks may be used" for each water regulated. Flies are included in that statement. Believe it or not, printing costs money and that decision probably saved DFG some budget (as small in amount as that may be).

IMHO, other than for the experience and for the sake of debate, legally, it doesn't matter what's done in AK.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Default How it's done in Alaska

Darian,

Thanks for your post. I have reviewed regulations for many states and provinces. AK's regs are so convoluted and complex, that half the people in Alaska cannot really say "how it's done in Alaska".

That being said, to qualify for FFO waters, a bead must be permanently attached to the hook... simple as that. I have used extra long streamer hooks, heated them enough to push the eye of the hook though the eye of the bead and "permanently" attached them to the hook; thus creating a "fly". Others have used a glue gun and applied to the hook shank. As long as the bead is attached to the hook it qualifies.

A bead, pegged on the line or free sliding on the line, however is not acceptable in FFO waters.
    Alaskan Fish Guides
    www.alaskanfishguides.com

Wow,.... You sure are right. A bead pegged to a leader is not a fly but one melted onto a hook shank is How do you guys live with that kind of stuff
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Mike

As usual, I have a hard time transferring my brain thru my keyboard My point is, I am not one to tell others how to do it. If they are within the regulations and having fun, hats off to them, even if theyre thowing a spoon on a flyrod. In everyday circumstances, I choose to flyfish with hand tied flies. As a matter of fact, I have not purchased a fly in the past 18 or so years. I much prefer to save my $ and tie them myself. I agree that fishing with your own hand tied flies adds a very special element to the sport.
    I will add that I would gladly fish with beads if I booked alaskanfish and he suggested it. I would probably play around with some of my own patterns throughout the day as well.

I do not fit the flyfishing profile very well. I often feel like a clay pot in a china cabinet I am disturbed by the attitude I run into on the river of many flyfishers...acting as if they have some God given secret that is interfering with just being friendly. And they genuinely get upset if you arent doing it just like they are...espacially if you start catching fish . I cant count how many times Ive approached a flyfisherman and said hello and he answered with a "harumph"...Maybe its Southern Oregon...Or maybe its just me
    That is presicely why I like this forum. You guys are very open minded and friendly toward others regarding the sport. I visit a few different FF forums, but this one has become my first stop

Jay

Hmmm,.... Jay, I hope my post wasn't misinterpreted..... No sarcasm or disrespect was offered or intended. I was sympathising with Alaskanfish's dilema/predicament with the AK regs.

That being said, has anyone read the article in the Oct.-Nov. '06 issue of Salmon, Trout, Steelheader, "To Line Or Not To Line?" Very timely, related and it has some interesting observations in it. Some I agree with and others, I don't. Before I commnent further, I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Author unknown

SullyTM Guest

jbird...If we tripped over each other on the water I'd say "howdy." Heck, I'd even let you show me where all the fish are

As long as an angler isn't breaking the law, damaging the environment or making my life miserable, fishing is fishing IMO.

...and I'll say it again! Personally, I don't care if I get skunked. I just love getting on the water and battling gills and fins!

Later...