View Poll Results: Is bead fishing really fly fishing?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

26 50.98%
  • No

12 23.53%
  • Don't care

12 23.53%
  • Don't know

1 1.96%
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bead vs. Fly fishing?

Default Bead vs. Fly fishing?

Fishing beads is a very effective way of catching fish during the spawn. Many, however consider this to be something other than fly fishing. What are your thoughts? For those who do not consider beads to be fly fishing, how do you feel about nymphs?
    Alaskan Fish Guides
    www.alaskanfishguides.com

Ok, I'll stick my hand out to be slapped. I assume by "bead fishing," you're referring to the practice of fishing a colored plastic bead attached just above a bare hook at the end of the tippet.

Well, for me, fly fishing involves fishing with a "fly," not just a bare hook at the end of the tippet. So I don't consider "bead fishing" to be fly fishing, since there appears to be no fly in this equation. Using similar reasoning, I do think fishing nymphs falls within the realm of fly fishing, since they are dressed on a hook. BUT, let me hasten to add: to each his/her own, who am I to define another's concept of fun? I only responded because you asked.
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

Default No hand slapping here!!!

Thanks for your reply. I agree. Though not necessarily a purist, I am more into style, presentation and really the take. The terminal end of the line really doesn't matter to me (to some extent).

I don't know if you can really classify bead fishing per se... I use a fly rod, cast to specificly sighted fish. I fish it like a nymph, try to match the "hatch", as well as produce a perfect presentation and so on...
    Alaskan Fish Guides

to me fly fishing is just a technique to present something to a fish. what that something is is up to the fisherman.
    the way I stake beads is no more adverse affest on the fish than fishing a tube fly. i post the bead about a half an inch above the hook, and I have never hooked a fish while using a bead outside the mouth.
    Dusty
    "I can hear the salmon fish saying - I'll be back!"

Arnold Schwazenegger, Governor of California, at Klamath Basin Restoration Agreement Signing, February 18, 2010

Great point about all the traditional elements of fly fishing involved in the "bead" approach.

I think everyone has to define for themselves how they want to approach the sport. As a kid, I learned how to finesse bass on plastic worms, high-stick trout in pocket water with nightcrawlers, vertical-jig for crappies, spoon for northern pike, etc. I have since preferred to distinguish and follow a certain, perhaps personal, concept of what I consider "fly fishing." Otherwise, what truly distinguishes fly fishing from these other approaches? In other words, rather than a bead, perhaps attaching a small spinner to the end of the tippet might be even more effective. . . . I guess we all need to draw our own lines somewhere. Anyways, as I always say and will say again, to each his/her very own.

Also, and this is perhaps getting a little bit away from your poll question, but I also particularly enjoy catching fish on flies I have tied (even better if I've had a hand in their design!), so the fly tying element is also a big part of the what "fly fishing" is TO ME.
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

Default Agreed

Hairstacker,

We sing off the same sheet of music. I also enjoy tying and am blessed when I hook up with a new creation.

I also hand paint the beads to "match the hatch".

Dustin,

I peg at 2" and can also say that I have never hooked a trout outside the mouth and no deeper than the jaw.

I understand that more than 2" can cause either foul hooking or gilling.

Bottom line for me: nothing like the adrenaline and excitement of a fish at the end of the line!
    Alaskan Fish Guides

no beads or bobbers

If you are casting a flyrod, using a flyreel and flyline, you are flyfishing (this is only my opinion) Flyfishing is a way of presenting your offering, not necessarily what you are offering. If you are casting a fly with a bobber and spinning rod, are you flyfishing? I'd say no. The problem I see is folks who keep their mind tightly in a traditional flyfishing box, are the folks who become angry or condecending toward an angler using a different or innovative aproach. It falls perfectly in line with the indicator argument. As you know, there is a large percentage of people who dislike the use of indicators or are embarrassed of the times they had to resort to using one. This is a personal handicap for those individuals.

Flyfishing is arguably the pinacle in techniques of puting a hook in a fish's mouth. So naturally some of the folks the sport attracts think they are the pinacle of the human race. These are the folks that love to tell you the real definition of flyfishing.

Do you have a flyrod, flyreel and flyline? youre flyfishin dear boy!!! use your imagination, maybe you can pioneer a new method in this wonderful sport. Ya just gotta think outside the box sometimes.

If I came to alaska and the guide said "we're flyfishing with beads and indicators today" I'd say "Gideeup Cap'n"

Jay

Default Beads vs Flies.....????

OK guys,.... In California, the DFG regs define a fly as "Any fly constrructed by the method known as fly tying." Thus, a bead is not, legally, a fly. Note that a bead may be incorporated into a fly design but by itself is not a fly. Therefore, in California, use of a bead or beads (whether used on a fly rod or drift gear) is not fly fishing. Also, a fly may be an artificial lure but a bead may not be a fly according to the regs. (see sections 1.08 and 1.11 of Chapt 1. GENERAL PROVISIONS AND DEFINITIONS).

Having cited that, I could care less whether using beads is fly fishing or not as long as they're not used in the classic sense of snagging. To Dustin, I say, you may not have ever hooked a fish outside of the mouth using beads in your young life, so far. But, believe me, fish long enough and any fly/lure will hook a fish outside of the mouth. The real issues are (1) what do you do when you see that your fish is not legally hooked And, (2) How many fish are hooked using beads outside the mouth during each trip made

For me, If I have a fish hooked outside the mouth, I attempt to break it off rather than bring it all the way in, tire it out and release it. Second, if I'm hooking a bunch of fish outside the mouth (no matter what my intent) I change my rig or my tactics to reduce/eliminate that occurance. I realize that when fishing over a bunch of closely packed Salmon, you're gonna inadvertantly snag a few. But that (snagging) shouldn't be your primary purpose there.

I, also, believe in "to each his own."
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

yeah i realize that if a continue to use beads I am bound to hook a fish outside the mouth eventually just as with any other fly or non-fly presented with fly gear
    "I can hear the salmon fish saying - I'll be back!"

Arnold Schwazenegger, Governor of California, at Klamath Basin Restoration Agreement Signing, February 18, 2010