Thread: Lower Klamath

Default Lower Klamath

Got to try the Sage 6126 (custom made by Gary Anderson) for the first time - tried two line systems - A CND 5/6 per Jeff's recommendations which were spot on! Great line. Also tried a skagit system - the WC body 10/11/12 which really made the rod come alive!

Fished the lower Klamath Sat/Sunday. Hit the river around 8 on Sat and it was overcast - hooked a nice adult in the first run I fished - it boiled on a moss back so I switched to a Hilton and two casts later he hit with a vengence. Had him close to my feet when he pulled loose. He was probably around 5 or 6 #. Managed around 10 half pounders throughout the day. Ran into Bruce up at Pecwan - he had two clients on a half day before their full day - this is a freebie for Bruce as they arrive at Mary Ann's in the PM so he fishes them for the first half day but he also gets to fish. I jumped in above him - did not hold out much hope as the worse place you want to be fishing is behind Bruce!! But after 10 minutes John Barenna (one of his clients) hooked up on the other side - nice adult that wrapped in a snag and broke him. Then I found one Bruce missed and what a hog - this was one of the biggest steelhead I have hooked on the Klamath (not including the circus a few years ago at Blue Creek). He was not that long but very husky and I estimate around 12 #. Really colored up!

I was camping on the river and it was a really nice evening by myself - next morning I could make out the moon through the clouds but then they thickend up (I had checked the weather maybe 3 days before and it was calling for sunny and in the 70"s!!!). Hooked a small adult in the run I was camped at. Then back up to Pecwan - got another one around 23". Proceeded up river to a nice run just below Metah (one that Bill liked alot and where Marilyn hooked her nice fish) - one half pounder in the riffle - I almost ran on up river without trying the slick above but something told me to give it a shot as there were fish rolling. Started high and had a huge grab and the fish took off like a rocket all the way to the lip - got him back up and off he went again the the lip - back up and he finally pulled loose. About 10 minutes later had a big boil but nothing there -switch from the moss back to an olive and grizzly pattern - next cast - he slammed it - another cookie cutter wild fish around 23". About 10 casts later another fish from the same mold slammed the fly! This all happened before noon.

Back to camp and lunch and the rain started - where did that come from!!?? It continued to rain and the fish shut down - managed one other small adult in the run above where I was camped. The rain made for a miserable night - trying to eat dinner in the rain! Rained off and on that night - I took off early Monday and fished a few places with no hook ups. But it was a great trip and a great way to break in the 6126!

Great report Rick. Sounds like the klamath is kicking out more adults than the usual half pounders. Where you fishing the old 6126 blank or the new z axis one. I have the old rod and was thinking about trying that line on it. Those new CND's are amazing. I have one on my scott 1287 and absolutely love it. Keep up the good work.

Jason Hartwick
    Jason Hartwick
    Kiene's Fly Shop
    Steelhead on the Spey Guide Service
    www.steelheadonthespey.com

Great report on the Klamath Rick. You did better than I did a couple of weeks ago on a fast road trip down there.Hopefully the rain makes the smoke from the Trinity fire go away . It has been makining it all the way to the Rogue Valley

Mark

Jason - it is the old 6126 - a dark green/brown blank. Bruce has the same rod and I cast his with the 10/11/12 WC Skagit on it and loved it - Gary had a used one (he used in his spey classes) he sold to me for a price I could not ignore. Plus it had a longer back and fore grip than the Sage (my one gripe about the sage was a too short handle).

If you like a deep loading rod you might try the 6/7 CND as opposed to the 5/6. Which line are you using on the 1287?

I had a conversation with Scott O'Donnell whose favorite rod was the 6126 - he said his new favorite is the new model - he said it will cast into the next hemisphere!! But since I only have to cast 3/4 way across the Klamath guess I will settle for the original!

Rick, i am using the cnd 6/7 on my 1287 and it is amazing. I liked that line so much that i went out and bought a few more to try on other rods. Looks like i might have to pick up a 5/6 cnd for my 6126 to try on the klamath and trinity in a couole of weeks.

Jason Hartwick
    Jason Hartwick
    Kiene's Fly Shop

Jason,
    I would be interested for you to try the 6/7 on the 6126. If you get a chance let me know what you think. It is likely a bit overgrained but am curious as Gary Anderson mentioned that line for the rod

Rick, i will give the line a go tomarrow and let you know. I just got a Hardy Mach 1 salmon 8/9 single hand line to throw on my 1204 so i am going to test that as well.

Jason Hartwick
    Jason Hartwick
    Kiene's Fly Shop