Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dying to hear about the Forebay!

Default Tarantula....!!!!!!

Hmmmm,.... Since it's their mating season, he was probably on the way to the local establishment looking for some lovin'.... Kinda got sidetracked in the proicess.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

That creature was caught by Lee S. on Thursday as they pulled in to the campsite. It was just walking, minding it's own business before Lee chased it down. These are not uncommon to find at the Forebay. I have caught alot of them and also some huge gopher snakes. Now tell me that you like sleeping on the ground.
    Back to the story. When I pulled in Friday morning, went up to Lee's motorhome to visit and he showed me this object in a vented tupperware.
    Later in the morning, he let it out of the container and let it walk around on his arm and hands. One thing you have to remember, they won't bite unless cornered or in danger. When you hold it, you don't want to grab it or make try to pick it up by it's body. Just let it walk naturally.
    I took the photo with my Nikon 105mm micro lens. I tried shooting at 1:1 but could get it focused. This photo was shot at a distance of 18" at a 1:1 ratio. The lens also has VR & IF (vibration reduction & internal focus)

Later today, I will be posting a couple of my top water bugs that I have been tying up.

Jay

Having fun with that new lense eh buddy! When I went for coffee in Lee's camper at least he had that thing in a box.
    Cheeeers, Ken
    Love the challenge...What try? No try. Just do!

Jay, you might want to try to get more of what you shoot in focus. Your depth of feild is too narrow. Can you step down the aperature to enlarge the depth of field?.... that is unless you wanted to have a very narrow depth of feild.
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

The depth of field was almost at the max. I was 5" away from the creature and holding my breath. I focused in the middle, locked focus but shot before I locked and took the breath. Had I used a tripod, and shot further back everything would of been focused.

I used to do photography as a profession. I shot many weddings and even had some photo's published in National Geo. Macro is sortof new to me but not that new. Just do like carrying a tripod around.

I just shot a couple of my flies that I will be posting on the board here shortly.

Jay

This photo was shot at a distance of 18"

I was 5" away from the creature and holding my breath.
    ???

Here's the 18" shot. We were trying to focus on the eyes but the thing kept moving. That's when I tried getting closer but the depth of field is so touchy at that range it's tough to hand hold and shoot

Jay

Jay, what materials did you use to tie this pattern?
    Capt. JerryInLodi
    www.DeltaStripers.Com

An olive for the body and charcoal colored pipe cleaners

Remember, these things aren't dangerous as long as you don't mess with them. Have you ever seen a tarantula jump. They have a pretty good vertical jump

Hitting Eastman lake tomorrow to tryout some other new patterns

Jay

Thats incredible Jay. If my wife knew those things were creeping around down there, she would cancel any and all plans to cross the border, I am a wildlife enthusiast and have enountered and handled many of americas critters ( I lived in florida for a few years) big, hairy spiders are among my least favorite specimens...I will admit, that one looks really cool, especially with that red shirtsleeve its on...nice contrast and colors.

Thanks for sharing.

jay