Thread: What a difference a week can make on the delta!

Default What a difference a week can make on the delta!

Last Monday was probably one of the best fishing days of my life. Things can change quickly.

By Wednesday the school I had found on Monday had spread out from just one huge pod of ravenous fish to about 500 yards of fish spread out along the slough I was fishing.

By Saturday they had spread out over a quarter mile.

Sunday we chased the fish for over a mile down the slough on a rapidly falling tide.

As the weather improved during the week, the fishing seemed to get tougher. Sunday was so warm that we broke into a sweat about 1pm and decided to call it a day with only five fish landed between an old friend and I, the largest a measily 1 pound 9 oz.

Yeah, I know, that's why they call it fishin' and not catchin'.

By the way, the giant chartreuse woolly bugger was responsible for all my fish and seemed to stand up to a tried and true clouser as far as a strike attractor. One benefit, I did catch LMB with it while the clouser only drew stripers.
    Capt. JerryInLodi
    www.DeltaStripers.Com

Default Stripers

Don't worry Jerry.
    I have a good repore with stripers. They like me and I like them.
    There will be plenty of them in by the 24th.

You better head down stream,you are fishing too close to the foothills.

I'll sing my Portuguese ditty. It's been known to make the fishermen jump out of the boat but the fish jump in and that's what counts!
    Capt. JerryInLodi
    www.DeltaStripers.Com

Yesterday on the Delta is a day that will live forever in infamy. Sturmer and I had fished about 10 days ago and caught small schoolies for most of the day. I thought I'd try the same thing yesterday, but my buddy, Ray, and I only had 2 fish by noon. It seemed like a good time to move the boat and fish elsewhere. I've got a pretty big motor (200 HP) and it takes a couple seconds to get the boat on plane. As soon as the bow came down I immediately heard all of these terrible crunching, banging, slamming and sickening sounds coming from the front of the boat. Seems like I forgot to raise the trolling motor.

I thought I had punched a hole in the hull, but didn't. The trolling motor is going to be out of commission for a while until it's fixed or replaced. We tried fishing for a while with the big motor, but that's kind of like kissing your sister.

Oh well...live and learn.
    Until next time.

Denny

Denny, as a ex-president said, "I feel your pain!" Apparently Sturmer did not exaggerate your boat's speed when he talked to me. I have some trolling motor stories as well but none as bad as that, YET!

What I didn't report from last Sunday was that after fishing we kind of lead footed it back to the dock. I started to gather up my stuff for the drive home. My big warm coat was missing. Oh pucky! It blew out over the back and apparently we were having such a good time talking we never noticed it.

Then I reached into my pants pockets to get my car keys. Guess where they were? I ended up getting a ride home from my fishing buddy and then my wife drove me back to pick up my car with a spare set of keys.

When you're out diving for missing trolling motor parts will you keep a look out for a double xxl coat, well lined with a whole bunch of keys in the pocket? If I'm right about where you two went fishing, it's probably on the bottom close by.
    Capt. JerryInLodi
    www.DeltaStripers.Com

Jeez, Jerry. I thought I had a bad day. You almost made me feel better.
    Until next time.

Denny

Default stripers

WOW! you two are accidents waiting to happen.
    Sorry about your losses,guys.