Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The stripers are in the delta!

Default The stripers are in the delta!

With the advent of the cooler weather I thought I'd give striper fishing a real effort tonight. It was well worth it. Details follow.

I had tied some new flies this weekend. I was fascinated as to how well the tried and true woolly bugger worked for LMB so I thought I'd tie some super woolly buggers for stripers, say on a 3/0 hook. I only tied four, two with lead eyes, two without, all chartreuse over white marabou tails, mylar chenille chartreuse body and olive hackle. All flies had a good portion of silver flashabou in the tail. None of the flies were weighted except for the lead eyes.

I hit the water about four and tried a few spots on the big water and then left and cruised up into some of the quieter sloughs. I was motoring along when I saw bait being ripped all along a shoreline, right up against the tulles. I quickly dropped the trolling motor and set up on the fish. The next three hours were insane. I landed over 25 stripers, the largest at seven pounds, the next five and most in the three to four pound range. I lost another ten. I also landed two LMB that were working the bait right along with the stripers. One of the two LMB approached five pounds.

I have NEVER had a season start like this! If the rest of the season is anything like this, we are in for a very good year!

Both flies worked but the eyeless fly seemed to be the better producer of the two.

Pict's of the two largest below.

[/img]
    Capt. JerryInLodi
    www.DeltaStripers.Com

Default Striperzzzzz!!!

Hi Jerry,.... What a great way to start the day/season. I guess that's one more vote for the good ol' Wooly Bugger as a fish killer.

What were the water temps at the time of the catch I wonder of the weighted Bugger'll work better, later in the year, when the water temps are cooler (Now,.... Where's my fly tying hooks/materials )
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Water's down to 65 and that's at the end of the day. Cooler at the start.

Darian, a couple of things with the fly.

First, make sure you use enough flashabou, about 30-40 strands and have it stick out a half inch behind the marabou. Tie it in just before the bend of the hook.

Second, when tying in the marabou, use the whole feather. I tie the pinfeather portion up the hook to fatten the area where the chenille will be wound. Wrap it tightly before tying in the hackle, thin wire and chenille at the base of the tail.

I tied in white marabou on the bottom and chartreuse on the top. Lots of it.

After winding up the chenille and palmering up the hackle and wire, finish off the head so it's tapered to the material with thread. I used the jig hooks. I just started using them and am pleased so far.

As far as eyes vs. no eyes. It makes a major difference in the movement of the fly. With eyes, the fly immediatly dives when stopped. With no eyes, the fly slowly drops in a horizontal positon and does not dive. I'm beginning to think the jigging action that we've all thought was such a great idea by weighting the front of our streamers may not ALWAYS be the thing to do.

As I understand it, the hardware guys now work with plastics that drop horizontally rather than the Carolina and Texas rigs where the plastic was weighted in the front and they're getting excellent results. Maybe they can teach us something.
    Capt. JerryInLodi
    www.DeltaStripers.Com

Jerry,
    The bug we have used for quite some time VERY successfully, has NO weight. We care NOT to toss weight. It too suspends or barely drops. Ever watch a minnow or shad when NOT injured or chased.....they dart or swim and suspend when they stop.....generally. This is our go to and survival bug wherever big fish are eating little fish.....BUT we have only used it on the west coast from Baja to Canada, fresh and salt. We are not world travelers.
    We DO carry a "modifier" to give the bug that jiggy action. ESPECIALLY when Jay shows us THAT is the desired presentation for that particular school.
    ....lee s.

Are Deceivers normally a weighted fly. I have always been a Chart/White Clouser Striper guy!

Hoping to find a non-weighted fly out there so I can do a little head to head trial of my own.

Kraig
    "The only time we're guaranteed, is the time we've already had. So make the most of every day!"

Katz,
    Mine are non-weighted.
    I should'a asked.....you tie'em or buy'em?
    If done as per the tuitorial, those bugs will pretty much suspend until the line drags'em down.....nose first.

Katz, with deceivers you can't be sure whether they're weighted or not. Some have some lead winding on them and all have the head shaped and epoxyed so that the fly will naturally dive, the front of the fly being heavier, narrower and with less resistance than the feather portion. Try what you've got along side the boat and watch when you put slack in the leader.

You might try tying some woolly buggers or whistlers without eyes and try the dive vs. no dive for yourself. The whistler, like the woolly bugger is bulky up front and will stop the fly from diving unless weighted with eyes.
    Capt. JerryInLodi
    www.DeltaStripers.Com

Thanks, I will start working on deceivers and "big" buggers.

I live in Dixon and plan to start working out the north-west portions of the Delta for striper and LMB. Hopefully I will be able to contribute to the board as I start exploring.

Thanks to the regular reportes - I'm learning a ton!

Kraig
    "The only time we're guaranteed, is the time we've already had. So make the most of every day!"

Default Stripers

Great post Jerry
    Are you using the 413 hook?
    What line were you using??
    I can't wait to get out there again.
    Love those stripers.

Holy moly, what a day Jerry! I'll have to tie up some of those uber buggers myself.
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.