Thread: Zihuat-Ixtapa....

Default Zihuat-Ixtapa....

I'm becoming more interested in Fly Fishing in the Zihuatenejo/Ixtapa area. The post by BajaFly (Gary Graham) indicates an outstanding day for large Roosters (32 in one day) off the in-shore at area beaches.

Did some reading on fishing websites in that area and found that they tease/troll a hookless bait under a kite. When a fish approaches the bait, the kite is raised and a fly is cast to the fish. Anyone on this BB ever fished this way I have no experience with it but am curious if there's any problem casting under the kite/bait

One negative for Rooster fishing in that area is travel by panga from the bay/resort to the beaches where Roosters can be found. Apparently, it's enough distance to merit additional daily cost for the panga. Not a problem for Sails/Dorado, tho.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Hey Darian,
    I know some guys that have tried it in local waters for makos, etc.
    My neighbor used that technique quite a bit offshore of Oxnard although they were fishing conventional lures not fly.
    At that point, they're mainly using it to get the shark charged up.
    Supposedly works well with one dude manning the kite and another fishing.
    I think the advantage as opposed to the typical teaser on a conventional stick is it pulls the teaser straight up and not towards you.
    We had a couple makos almost follow the jerk of the teaser on a conventional setup into the boat. Definitely keeps you on your toes.

I wouldn't see it as being too much more of a tangle hazard than doing the typical bait and switch. Haven't tried it myself tho.

-Paul

Darian

Jim Christensen (works part time at the shop) and friends have fished Z-town 2 or 3 times now in the winter for sailfish.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Default I/Z

Darian
    I have fished I/Z 4 times and the prime time seems to be December/January. I've tested the twisted stretch leader on sails and tried to break them off by applying extreme pressure. Managed to land 2 sails one day within 18 minutes, not bad for an old f--t. Let me know if you are going for sure and I may be able to help you with some flies and
    leaders.
    Leo