Thread: Gratuity

Default Gratuity

What is the proper amount to tip a guide for a full day float trip? The last time out I paid $350 for the day for two anglers (included flies and lunch) and I tipped $50 for the both of us.

I'm asking because I saw an ad in Claifornia Flyfisher for a guide that said $345 + generous tip.

So what is appropriate and what is generous?

Thanks.

When I was a guide I liked getting tips but did not necessarily expect them. I would think that 15% to 20% is reasonable if they provided a service you think is worthy - this should not be based on whether you caught fish or not but on how hard they worked to get you into fish and if they provided other services you asked for - such as casting instructions, etc.

I normally do not hire guides though there is a steelhead guide a couple of us go out with each year that we consider a friend as well as a guide and we tip him $100 ($50 from each of us).

I am not sure I would book with a guide who expects a tip and puts that in his ad.

My usual tip is ....... telling them to start tying flies that work as good as the ones I tye .

Just kidding . I'm too poor (and too much of an arsehole ...) to pay for a guide .

I'd guess 10-15 % ????

David

In Baja the General Rule is given the Pangadero 20 to 30 bucks for a Good day's fishing.. You pay about $250 a day for a Panga.. this is what I do down there... even the Pangadero who didn't know Squat about flyfishing, but was willing to learn from me (August 2005 in La Paz) I gave $20 bucks to...(he was Trying to get me into fish)

Hope this Helps......

DEAN ~~
    "..Buy the Ticket, Take the Ride..." ~ Hunter S. Thompson