Thread: Bill on the Klamath

Default Bill on the Klamath

I got to fish with Bill and Marilyn on the Klamath for a couple of days - stayed at Buzzards Roost - house on the rock.

Bill kept us all in stitches and by the way he hooked some really nice fish.

The first photo is a 22" adult that came out of the water cartwheeling at least 6 times as it screamed down river - the next fish was a 28" steelhead on a 6 wt using a floating line - these fish are really surface oriented! An a nice 18" big half poounder that Marilyn caught!

A really fun trip!

Way to go Bill and Marilyn, nice fishes

Awesome, nice pictures! You guys caught some nice steelies. I'm glad to hear that Bill got to fish dry lines for steelhead, he loves that kind of fishing.

Rick knows the Klamath he guided me into my first Klamath steelie, not a PIG like Bill's, but it was fun on my spey rod.

Thanks for spreading the Klamath around Rick. I really enjoyed that trip!

I wish that I could fish the Klamath this season but school and work are keeping me pretty busy. Maybe if I pray to the fish gods...... [-o<
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

Wow! Bill I didn't know you fished! Nice to see you get out of the shop and on the water. Very nice fish and photos. Send some of those beauties up the trinity will ya! Better yet, send them back down here to the American. Good job, both you and Marilyn! You better stay up there a couple of extra days, I think the shop is doing fine.
    Ya don't know, if ya don't go!

mike

Sure do like the "Couples" pic! Looks like a grand team.
    ....lee s.

Beautiful fish and backdrops! Looks like a great time had by all.
    -Paul

Nice report and pics. Bill looks like he was suprised to hook into those fish! Was the smoke bad down on the klamath? It was almost unbearable on the trintiy between hoopa and willow creek.

Jason Hartwick
    Jason Hartwick
    Kiene's Fly Shop
    Steelhead on the Spey Guide Service
    www.steelheadonthespey.com

Jasonh - it was really smoky on the river - might actually have helped fishing as it reduced the intense sun on the water during the bright daylight?

We hooked quite a few adults but few half pounders - nice for this year but does not bode well for next year?

Bruce was guiding Jim Christensen and his wife at the same time and Jim really got into some fish - 7 adults the first day - but Jim is an animal when it comes to fishing - not many breaks and short - they covered alot of water each day. We also hooked a fair number of jacks

I would say this is some of the finest fly fishing left in California.

We used mostly floating lines on 6 weight rods swinging small #8 Klamath River patterns like Silver Hiltons and BH Moss Backs. We fished short sink tips when the sun was on the water.

The fishing was best in the AM and PM with boils right in the surface and lots of hot jumping and running Steelhead.

This is the coolest way to catch Steelhead on a fly.

Jim Christensen hooked a half dozen adult fish a day from 24 to 28 inches. He is a really top fly fisherman and was with Bruce Slightom who is considered to be the best fly fishing guide on the Klamath River today.

The Halfpounders (10-20") did not really show up much this Fall. Mostly adult fish from 20" to 28". Less fish but bigger so far this year.

We stayed about 16 miles up from the ocean at the Buzzard's Roost cabins on the river in the remote wilderness. Marry Ann and Rod took great care of use with great food too.

Sept/Oct is the best time to fish the lower Klamath River but you need a jet boat to get around down there.

I will try to get up some photos too.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Bill looks like a great trip,and some beautiful fish!nice going.
    Thanks for the great report.

Something that some of us noticed while you were gone is nobody could find the keys to your boat and there wasn't any gas in your lawn mower.

Welcome home
    I swear I'll be home by noon this time!!