Thread: AR 9/24/06

Default AR 9/24/06

Hi the A today for a bunch of dinks. More caddis activity than last week too and more fishing rising but mostly dinks. Only saw a few nice fish rising at a newer spot I was checking out but it was dark by the time I got there so I can't say if it will be any good until later tonight....

Jeff
    "Did you catch anything".........."No, did you"........

"Hey man, mind if I fish here?"....."Yes"...."Thanks man!"
    grgoding@yahoo.com

Jeff
    thanks for keeping us posted!! I was there Sun evening and noticed two distinct sizes of caddis right at dark some olive around a size #18 and a sz # 14 with only a couple rises also.
    I swear I'll be home by noon this time!!

hey Mike,

I was below Goethe, definitely a lot of dink activity, few fish maybe bigger rising. I hit a different spot down stream, threw a streamer hoping for a big steelie, only hooked up with a 16" stripe that fought pretty good for it's size... I thought I had a nice steelie til the end though...LOL

Jeff

grgoding@yahoo.com

Jeff
    I was at Goethe just below the bridge at the first riffle,how far down were you? Did you seem many dragon flies taking insects ?
    I swear I'll be home by noon this time!!

I was a lower Goethe last night. There were'nt nearly as many fish working as there were when I was there last week. I was fishing caddis pupa patterns and had two nice grabs at about 6:30 but nothing before or after. I did see quite a few dark colored caddis coming off at about 7:15, but no fish rising to them. In three trips to the AR, two smolts no steelhead.

I'm thinking I was right below you?? I remember seeing one person in the riffle that I usually fish but I was seeing how things were farther down. I was putzing around in that slow water with the dinks for a bit and I remember seeing someone upstream of me.

Hey Bill, was that you on the East side fishing a little up from that big ol tree in the water?? If so that was me cruising on by on the west side around 6:30 or so. I didn't see squat lower down... no fish rising like the night before.

Been a slow year I think... I've hooked up but lost two nice fish but that's pretty much it. Haven't seen the usual amount of good fish working the runs etc... A lot more dinks then usual though but I've been suprised of how many were hatchery fish too but they look like what I would consider wild fish... nice colors... par marks etc....

grgoding@yahoo.com

I just wanted to add one or two things. I've hit more riffles this year rather than runs and it's been good for the smolts. I usually catch a few in each riffle but nothing over 8".... biggest fish so far to hand was about 15", lost one fish that took me into the backing and I horsed too much, and another one around 16" which was shaped like a football and just exploded on my fly which I felt briefly on the hook set.

Secondly, the fish seem to like the fly on the swing. On Sunday I was stripping in my cast which had straightened out completely down stream and I got bit. I usually swing my flies anyway but I noticed the fish really didn't hit anything dead drifted but swinging the flies just under the surface or even stripping them in produced multiple hits and fish (albeit from dinks), but it beats getting skunked I guess....

grgoding@yahoo.com

Jgoding-

Have you been out with a Golden?

I have been fishing around the last week as well. Nothing much doing, but I might have been in your riffle....

hey slage,

Goldren?? am I missing something?? Golden retreiver? No, I'm usually out there solo.... except if I can drag my bro or old man out...

Jeff

grgoding@yahoo.com

Jgoding-
    Yup, retreiver. I thought, from your descriptions that might have been you with the pooch, obviously not.
    Always interested about guys I see out and a connection to the board.
    Oh well, maybe next time.
    I am going out this afternoon for a bit, hopfully I get some love...
    See ya around