Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Kenai Trip Report (2006), the Good, Bad & Ugly

Totally none of my buisness and if you don't feel like answering I'll understand, but I have to ask, did you tip the guides that were late and didn't get you on the river until 1000? Again sorry for asking - I couldn't help but feel outraged at the thought of a guide showing up late with a lame story like I didn't have gas in my car. Bad enough that they were late once but twice!!??
    As for your report, truly a benchmark post. Wonderful photos.

Default Tips...???

I had the same reaction/question.... (none of my business either, but....)
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Well, since two of you asked
    The guide did not receive a tip. I will also point out that I have probably done about 100 guided dates over the past thirty years of FF, and this was only the second time I have ever not given a guide a tip! I also want to mention, that while the guide being late and not having enough gas on one of the days was definitely his own fault, the two other situations resulted from the co-owner of the shop making some, IMNSHO, bad decisions/errors as far as I'm concerned. I was actually more upset with those, than the guide oversleeping and forgetting to put gas in his car on one day (hey, we all make mistakes-I have plenty of times!). I also don't want to over emphasize my generally negative experiences with the shop. Once we actually got on the water, the two guides I eneded up with were very competent and worked quite hard. And one of the guides actually yelled at the co-owner about the "bad" situation he was getting put into even though it was no fault of his own (which was true-and he was genuinely upset at her). There are a ton of other guides on the Kenai that I can go with, I will just exercise my right to spend my money in a way that I want! You may book a trip with this outfit and have no problems, but I won't be back with them!

Hello all -
    I have worked for Alaska Troutfitters for the past three seasons and was quite dismayed when I read Mr. Laskodi's report on his trip to the Kenai Peninsula. Mr. Laskodi had many negative things to say about our business, but that is not the motivation behind this post, as I do not wish to initiate any arguments over the nature or truthfulness (or untruthfulness) of his assertions. I do however think that everyone on this forum should know that while Mr. Laskodi insisted he'd never seek out our services again...

Now on to the “bad”! I had booked four float trips on the Kenai with Troutfitters in Coopers Landing. I will be honest and tell you that I will never book any additional trips with them in the future.
    You may book a trip with this outfit and have no problems, but I won't be back with them!
    ...who but Mr. Laskodi and his son walked into our flyshop not too long ago looking to book a trip with us...
    here fishy fishy

Great Report!
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

...who but Mr. Laskodi and his son walked into our flyshop not too long ago looking to book a trip with us...
    You took the time to set up an account here and type out this message and open up this year old report just to tell us Mr Laskodi walked into your shop? What relevence?....

Excellent summary!
    I first went to Alaska in 1979...truly, an incredible experience! I caught rainbows in Montana Creek while escapees from a tour bus applauded since I was 10 yards upcreek from the bridge; I caught grayling everywhere and sockeye and rainbows in the Brooks River (before the improvements- boardwalks to observe the bears)- one of the best memories is having to look over your shoulder on every cast to a) make sure you don't hook a bear on your backcast and b) watching the competition- the bears are fattening up for winter, so you are competing with them for the available fish...at that time it was not unusual for a bear to "bluff charge" you after you hooked a fish so he/she could feast after you tired the fish!
    When I returned in 1995- things were not the same...ah, progress! When I "flew out" to a remote location several float planes would buzz me as they brought clients to the same "nirvana" I had been promised. This I know- I shall never return. By the way, what ever happened to "Zero Population Growth"? I have grown to accept that I must battle the crowds in California and accept that- it is similar to a "tee time" in golf and I can deal with that... but I always hoped that Alaska would remain special...
    Don

Yes, I also have that same question!!! What is the point of your post?
    Yes, I did walk into TF looking for a guide to float "the canyon" on this year's annual trip to AK because I had a free date in my schedule, and TF is one of the few outfitters legally licensed to do that float and very few guides are willing to do it due to the whitewater portions increasing their liability insurance. And I always believe in giving persons a second chance since we all have "bad days" and I was willing to put over $500 bucks of my own money down to give TF a second chance, perhaps proving to me that my initial experiences were just a fluke. What's wrong with that? And if you do work for TF, or represent them in any way, what statements in my original post regarding TF do you dispute? In fact, it would probably be a good idea for TF to post their own version of events because it's a good idea to hear both sides of the story. Lastly, I certainly hope that your response of having no guides available for that float on the few open dates I had was true, not because I'm "black listed" at TF!!
    But I do find it pretty cool that the person working at TF recognized me, since I didn't give my name. I guess I'm an AK celebrity now!

Hey Bob,

Your great report brought back similar memories for me when my wife and I went to Alaska in 2005 for the first time . We spent 4 days at a nice remote lodge and then 3 days on our own on the Kenai Peninsula. It was quite a change of pace . One of the streams we fished on the Peninsula was Quartz Creek I believe.

We didn't see anything quite as "ugly" or as "good" as you did but we did enjoy our Kenai experience. In addition to fishing for those Dolly's we did some sight seeing as well. While we did see lots of people, the Dolly’s were very easy to catch with beads just as you say . Here are just a couple pics from the Kenai part of that trip.

Bill

Quartz Creek I believe with lots of salmon spawning and dollys eating the eggs.

One of the many dolly’s we caught below all the salmon.

Dana and I doing some sightseeing on a cruse ship for a day

Dana as we did some more sightseeing as part of our trip.

I sure did have a great time on my recent Kanektok River float trip. With all your numerous Alaska fishing trips I am guessing you may have fished the Kanektok River?

Best Wishes and Tight Lines,

Bill
    Bill Ward, ie, Bluegrass Bill, Sacramento, CA
    Guitar Player for Western Lights Band
    Bluegrass and Beyond!
    http://westernlightsband.com/

Hi Bill: Yes, I have fished the Kanektok.
    I saw your gangs trip report at NCFFB and it looks like you all had a banner time! If you guys go again, I'd like to tag along if possible as I haven't done a float trip in years. I can row but can't cook!!
    I am the luckiest dog in the world in that I have fished AK extensively since the late 1980's and have hit every major river in the state (except for the Naknek, that one still eludes me!).
    I just got back from this years adventure to AK and will be posting pics of that one very soon!