Thread: Rod Building....

Default Rod Building....

Hey everyone,.... Thinkin' about building a 8 weight, 4 piece, fly rod. Maybe on a TFO blank. I want a faster 8 weight than those I already have.

A question I have for you guys is what is the preference of the group for placement of the guides.... On the side of the blank where the spline is or the opposite side

I've read about this and seen the discussions on other BB's but, due to differences discussed, am still a little confused about this area of rod building.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Darian

Here is a great tutotial thats loaded with useful info.

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/begi...ite/index.html

It takes you from A to Z in building a flyrod.

Jay

Opposite spline for me.

I asked the same question when I built my first rods. Everyone had a different answer, but I've settled on placing guides opposite the spline for blanks up to a 7 wt, and on the spline for 7 wt and higher rods.

Here is a good post from a few years back on the Rodbuilding.org forum: http://www.rodbuilding.org/read.php?...2239#msg-32239 Check out the rodbuilding.org FAQ for more discussion as well.

Building rods doesn't seem to be terribly popular, but I find it really enjoyable. It allows me to own and tryout more rods than I would otherwise be able to afford. My next rod will probably be a small stream 2-3 wt 7 1/2ft glass rod- it would never get off my wish list if it weren't for home building.

Darian, I'm sending you a PM with a couple of additional thoughts.

Dave

Default Rod Building....

Hey guys,.... good info. The websites you had some good info concerning the subject on them.... Gotta decide on a blank, now.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Dan Craft has some awesome blanks. The FT series is awesome. The 8 weight a friend just built truly an impressive rod. I have the 10 weight.

Darian, you should definitely check out www.rodbuildingforum.com -- not only have they posted some great articles for new rod builders, but there are some very experienced rod builders on the forum who enjoy helping with any questions you might have, like this one. They are a sister site to www.flytyingforum.com which is a GREAT site for fly tyers.
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Hairstacker
    Darian, you should definitely check out www.rodbuildingforum.com -- not only have they posted some great articles for new rod builders, but there are some very experienced rod builders on the forum who enjoy helping with any questions you might have, like this one. They are a sister site to www.flytyingforum.com which is a GREAT site for fly tyers.
    I second rodbuildingforum.com, they have a lot of great knowledge and are easily approachable.