Thread: Tomales Bay 9-16

Default Tomales Bay 9-16

Just heading out the door for Starry Flounder and 'Butts ..... full report w/ photos to follow .

Oh , Lee S. - I'll launch @ the ramp next to Nick's Cove around 10:30 ..... in case you've nothing better to do today

David

Well .... we survived .

Met Lee S. and Dinah @ Miller park , next to the old Nick's Cove - shot the shiste for a bit , and , as Lee laughed his arse off , launched into the bay on a sit-on-top deathtrap .

Have I mentioned that I hate kayaks yet ?????

Paddled (into a 15-20 knot 'breeze' ....) for the next two hours to finally reach Tom's Point - it had changed a little since I last saw it (in 1979 ....) , no longer a 'clean' sand point , but now an Eelgrass hell . Wind is now over 25 , I can't fish outta the #@$#%$^ yak , and cannot fish from the beach without clearing a swath in the grassbeds .

The fun part was coming back , almost to the launch .... without much paddling involved . Joseph N. lost a nice fish (Leopard???) on a 1/0 JigShrimp , and Candida and I drew blanks .

Shades of the Croc Hunter ..... Candida had a mid-sized BatRay slam into her yak without warning - great , loud screams .

I'll probably go back again and try the WEST side of the bay - less grass , deeper water

That's it .

David

Whew!!!
    We were worried sick, I tell ya. A new paddle-man trying to gain expertise amongst such a dense population of "killer" rays had us very fearful that this report would be other than "first person".
    It was grand BS'ing with you again and meeting Candida and Joseph. You reinforce our desire to take advantage of and get better at our local opportunities.
    ....lee s.

Tomales CAN be done - The south side of Walker creek has sand/mud flats that reach way out into the bay ..... take a 'T' post , some rope to tye -up that $%#@$#% yak , and sight-fish the Leopards in two feet of water .

If you stick one ..... it'll run like a jet fighter out into the blue

The west side looks promising (yeah , Lee .... you told me that .... didn't you ??) - plenty of DEEP , weed-free water . Leadcore should be the ticket there ......

I'll go back again , hopefully w/ a boat and anchor . Should find somethin' fishy there .

David