Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Alaska ?

Default alaska fishing

Hello,

I lived near Anchorage for 4 years, and have fished most of the road system you are discussing. The advice you have received above is great and pretty much right on. As a general rule, if you fish "cheap", then everyone else can afford it too, and you will fish with the crowds.

One suggestion I might add, if you are interested in silvers is Kodiak Island. I used to go there regularly in September, and depending on the rains, the fishing can be fantastic! I would recommend at least one off-road trip to Saltery Creek...the ones where you take ATV's for a beautiful 2 hour ride across the island. It is lots of fun too. i went there 3 years ago with Pillar Creek Guide Service for $200 a head, and we caught the incoming tide. There were so many silvers coming in and scooting up in 3" of water that we thought we were lassoing them, rather than fishing!!

There are not many rainbows there though. However, the Dolly VArden fishing there can be excellent on glo bugs, beads, and even nymphs.

Another suggestion for silvers and trout is to head North from Anchorage and fish the Parks Highway. Montana Creek and Willow creek have some great silver fishing, and if you are willing to hike a bit, you can find some good trout water too. these have rainbows, but you can get grayling there too!! Mid to late August is a great time for here.

check the Alaska Fish and Game website. They have old fishing reports from past years so you can see the best time to go.

Send a PM with your phone number if you'd like to talk on the phone about it.

ced.
    FISHBONZ!!

Ffdoc, and others thinking of coming to my State,
    Most of the responses here are both correct and relative IMO. There is a fly fishing forum just for Alaska Fishing at:
    http://www.alaskaflyfish.net/phpBB2/...3f818fbfd5225a and we love to talk fishing. Like others, we wont divulge the super secret spots but we love to help out. Many threads on the road system, floats and out of the way fishing.

I grew up in the Bristol Bay area (King Salmon, Naknek), just moved to Wasilla after 32 years out there. Most of the fly shops in Anchorage and Wasilla are great resources for the whole state. We are also seeing a few "Lodge" type businesses setting up for Do-It-Yourself fishing.

If you wish to visit specifically about the Bristol Bay region we can talk via email. Hope this helps some and Merry Christmas to all.

George
    George Riddle
    Blueberry Island Lodge
    Kvichak, River