Hi Board members,

I am contemplating a trip to Alaska next year with a couple friends. We have never been. I know there is no lack of places to go with great fishing, but my friends and I are trying to keep the cost down. Is it possible to get to some quality flyfishing by flying into Anchorage or another city and renting a car or motorhome and driving to our destinations? We are very experienced flyfishers but would still probably want a guide for a day or two for the local knowlege, but the other days it would be great to be able to fish on our own if that is possible without getting trampled in a combat fishing zone. From my research so far the biggest cost of the "package" trips seems to be the flyout costs and costs for fine food and guide service at the lodges. I think this part is great , but for our first trip I could do without it. From my initial research the Kenai river seems to be the most accessible. Is this river likely to give us a good flyfishing experience or does it get too much fishing pressure? we are flexible in terms of what month we could go and would be interested in fishing for most of what swims up there, but particularly the silvers and rainbows.
If anyone has done a trip like this or has other suggestions I would sure appreciate it. If your advise is to save our pennies and go when we can do it right I need to hear that also.

Thanks,

FFdoc