Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 'Buts at Mini Bay....

SULLY,

That day, with the Wind, I opted for my 9' 7wt. with a 250 grain Head on it... thought for most of the Summer I'm casting about like Paul..9' 6wt. rod with a 200 grain Head on it.. My leaders will be about 7-9 feet. the tippet being 8lb. Flouro... I use Tapered leaders personally.. a #4 Razzler has been my "But" fly at the Little Cove...but things change, curious as to what pattern they'll grab Saturday morning...

Most of the Halibut I've caught in the Surf zone have been on Clousers or bendbacks.. anything that looks like a baitfish and has a good deal of Flash in it seems to be the Norm... thought as Paul and I have mentioned, we're taggin' them Halibut on Shrimp & Crab looking flies.... another aspect on the Always enjoyable Surf Zone...

JAY,
    You are Soo Right... an observant and Open minded Flyfisher will often find Great Fishing adventure close at Hand...

DEAN ~~
    "..Buy the Ticket, Take the Ride..." ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Dean

Have you ever tried a zonker for those halibut? A silver mylar chord body with a white rabbit strip and oversized eyes covers a good range of baitfish. I like them with generous lead wraps on the front 1/3 of the hook to give them the 'injured baitfish twitch'. tied on a #6 2X long hook. Sometimes I'll go bigger to discourage smaller fish.
    Nothing has more real life action than rabbit, especially on the sink between strips.

Jay

Hey Jay,
    I have a buddy that has done well with rabbit strip clousers on halibut up north. Haven't tried them myself but have a bunch of rabbit strip burning a hole in my material box.
    Not quite a zonker, but the epoxy body really helps hold things together against a good chewing.
    I think alot of the halibut fishing is finding the fish. Sometimes they're so close to shore you spook them wading. Plus you never know what you'll end up with until you see it.
    Had a thornback earlier in the day that busted me off burrowing down in the sand. Couldn't beach him/her.
    -Paul