Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 'Buts at Mini Bay....

Default 'Buts at Mini Bay....

Met up with Paul C....and Tim P. at the Mini Cove I caught the Clam at last week.. Paul & i had talked about this over the Phone and agreed that hitting it early would give us time before the Crowds arrived... A little Quality time at the Beach.. Tim found out from Paul and was there suiting up as i arrived.. That was an Added Bonus.
    It was windy& Cool and I was Very glad I brought along my Simms Surf Pull over..it made a difference, I was wet wading...

Tim was the First to get Bend-O action...

A small Halibut, but it beats watching paint dry...

We continued to work around the Little Cove, trying to find areas where we'd not risk the Chance of Whacking ourselves with the Fly, due to the Wind..... Paul caught a jack/Top Smelt... Tim got a Small walleye Perch.. i didn't get a take.. The water in the Cove was dirty due to the Wind and if you didn't put that fly Right in their face you would Scratch..

We then decided to let Paul & Tim give a shot at being "Jetty Jockeys" so we climbed up on the Jetty.. Tim got a Top/Jack Smelt as his first Jetty fish. We All Sacrificed Flies to the Jetty Gods....

Back onto the Cove and Paul gets this Fine Halibut..

He got it on a Merkin crab pattern and it really gave Paul a Sweet fight on his 6wt...(Tim & Myself where fishing our 7wts because of the Wind...)

The "End of Day" bell rang as the Flies where getting too close to our heads, the wind had picked back up.. Besides, More & more folks where showing up and we were spending alot of time waiting for Beach Combers to walk past us so we could cast again...

On the way home, I went down PCH and the Beaches were Packed with Holiday crowds... Glad we got out Early for Our bit of Labor Day fun ...

It was a Fun session out there with Paul & Tim... We'll have to do it again ASAP....

DEAN ~~
    "..Buy the Ticket, Take the Ride..." ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Default Halibut....??

Hey Dean,.... No surf there. Ya can't hang ten in between casts. If you guys are wading wet, the water must be quite warm.... Any red tide down there this year

Judging from the smile on Pauls face, it Looks like a good trip was had by all. As soon as I can make some progress on painting around the house, I'm gonna have to get down there.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Hey Darian,
    That spot is one of those odd ball spots that the surf doesn't really play a role. Harbor jetty on your left, and a long breakwall in front of you. Its basically lake fishing for saltwater fish.
    Not much red tide this year despite the abnormally warm temps.
    It is still really warm, although the windchill that morning made it colder out of the water than in.
    Still don't know whats up with the bigger buts hitting shrimp and crab patterns there. Have yet to get a good one on a bait fish pattern in that spot which boggles the mind.
    -Paul

DARIAN,

Let Paul & I know when you wanna head south.. we'll drag your Arse around to all the "Cool" surf spots....

As Paul stated, the Little cove is fairly protected from any Swells.. in the Picture of Paul with his Hali, if you look at the Sand point to his left, if you were to head to the Right of that point, you'd hit Open Surf and there you'd find the Swells you desire.. (plus at times there are some really Cool troughs and deep holes that form there...).

The Little Cove is Really cool, because the predominate Current is down hill from Ventura..so the Currents drive Baitfish into the Little Cove, thus the Halibut there most of the time... As Paul stated it's weird that we're hitting the halibut on Shrimp & Crab looking flies... I was strippin' Bendbacks and Clousers Monday, but no Love in Halibut Town.. (I'm currently tying up some Crazy Charlies for the Top /Jack Smelt in and around the cove...perhaps the halibut will want to eat those..???)

Might hit the Cove again on the way to the family Picnic up in Summerland on Saturday....

DEAN ~~
    "..Buy the Ticket, Take the Ride..." ~ Hunter S. Thompson

SullyTM Guest

Paul/Flyjunkie...How far out were you casting? 20'...30'...40'?

Paul, a pair of flip-flops?

Looks like Tim has a spey rod in hand?

Nice report. Thanks. Thom

Hey Sully,
    I was casting as far out as possible given the wind. At most maybe 60-70ft or so fishing the end of the cove with the wind to my back.
    More time in that pond the more likely a fish will grab it.
    I'm usually either in flip flops or barefoot during the summer as I'm wet wading.
    Tim's rod isn't a spey but a Winston Boron 7wt. A spey would have been alot of fun out there.
    -Paul

SullyTM Guest

Thanks, Paul...One last item for my edification. What was the rigging on your rod. Floating or sinking line? Leader type/length etc...

tight lines...

Hey Sully,
    Still with a light summer rig....175 grain integrated line. Leader around 10 ft or so, straight 8lb fluoro. Size 2 Merkin with big dumbells. Doesn't look like anything we have out here...go figure. The beans seem to like Merkin's also.

Alot of guys that target halibut specifically are using some form of intermediate or floating line and a real long leader. They'll come up off the bottom to grab something. Occasionaly you'll see them crashing bait on the surface. Pretty cool stuff....
    -Paul

This has been a most interesting thread. I am enjoying it! Thanks for sharing. It goes to show how diverse this sport is. No matter where you are. you arent too far from a flyfishing adventure.

Great stuff !

Jay

SullyTM Guest

Thanks, Paul...Notes have been logged. I just now have to "buy the ticket!"

Have fun in the surf.

Thom