Thread: upper rogue

Default upper rogue

The upper river is starting to come around with a pretty good chance of multiple fish days. Its a little wierd this year, We seem to find little consentrations of fish. You can cover a ton of water with very little to show for it and then hit the jackpot in one spot. If you dont have access to a boat, your chances of finding that jackpot are pretty limited. Thats not to say you cant find some fish right outside your car door. My personal experience in years past is I could scratch out a fish or two at all my favorite spots. This year its more like a treasure hunt. Once again the big bug seems to be the top producer for me, while Mark and some other folks have been getting fish on both the big and little bug, including red copper johns, cdc pheasant tails and a variety of hares ears. As always with nymphing the rogue, your chances are the best if your ticking bottom so tie in lots of weight. The regs change to flies only above gold ray as of 9/1. You can use a spinning rod with a bubble and flies on the rogue but no added weight to the leader system. Fishing with the spinning rod and bubble can be deadly on the rogue and is a great way to get kids and novices into a steelhead. You can keep 2 hatchery fish a day and must release all wild fish. Theres lots of good access from tou velle all the way up to the top with a great combination of nymphing and swing water. The water temps are pleasant and good for wet wading for at least another couple weeks...you may need waders in the morning... So come on up and check it out if youre looking for some new water and a chance at some great fishing.

This is a fish from a couple years ago... a dandy that is burned into my memmory.

Jay

Can't wait to get up there in late October, heading to the Great Western gathering in Dunsmuir, then it's to the Rogue and the Trinity. Only 4 more weeks! Thanks for the report and the encouragement.