Thread: Another AR bullet hands me my A$%

Default Another AR bullet hands me my A$%

LOL,

Well, I hit my favorite run this evening below Goethe to see how much it changed. It wasn't too bad. Not a lot of caddis flying around so I throw my shooting head a bit to see if stripe wants to play. I see a splashy rise so I switch over to my floater and put on a parachute caddis with a pupa dropper.

I skate both flies in the surface film for a bit and then hit the head of the run. I see a small take so I set the hook and figure I have a feisty little fish on not more than 14" I assume. Well, I figure this fish is mine after a short run (I'm suprised at the power though), and the fish turns and heads straight for me.... Well, I guess he saw my ugly mug and didn't like the looks of it and next thing I know the fish is screaming off line and my 8wt is bent pretty good. I see my backing starting to come off and halt the fish with a little pressure but I guess I was a little too eager to get the fish back in and I horsed it a little to much. Popped the hook as the fish did a slight sideways dance and I had too much pressure on. Oh well, lesson learned I guess... Never got a clear look but I think it was a pretty decent fish. First time I've seen my backing ever..... and even with the 8wt the fish had some good pull. Not the greatest way to start off my steelheading for the year but at least I hooked up.

Jeff
    "Did you catch anything".........."No, did you"........

"Hey man, mind if I fish here?"....."Yes"...."Thanks man!"
    grgoding@yahoo.com

Way to go Jeff, I fished below Watt Ave bridge and at Gristmill day before yesterday and could only manage a 14"er. I've heard some stories of some adults being taken but I haven't seen any signs yet. Really looking forward to this season. Hopefully the water will stay down this year and give us a chance to get some nice fish in areas other than below the hatchery. See ya on the river.

PS. you might want to reconsider using a split shot while throwing those nymphs. It's not that hard, Hell even I can get a fish now and then using that technique.
    Ya don't know, if ya don't go!

mike

Jeff,

I think you had one of those larger ones on that can run 4 to 6 pounds.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Hi Bill/MSP,

yeah, I only regret not really getting a look at the fish. Thinking about it though, when I set that hook it was pretty damn solid and the fish did not move at all as with some smaller fish. My first fish last year was the exact same way too.... looked like a small fish feeding in the side channel, takes the caddis and kind of mucks around for the first 20 secs. but then just takes off and pretty much peels line off at will and run and jumped like a wild dog and handed me my a#$ as well. Although it didn't take me into the backing, I did see this fish and it was over 20" and dime bright with that classic black over silver steelie look.

Jeff
    "Did you catch anything".........."No, did you"........

"Hey man, mind if I fish here?"....."Yes"...."Thanks man!"
    grgoding@yahoo.com

I would recommend to everyone who can, put your gear in the trunk and go out as many evenings after work as you can in Sept/Oct.

The flow is 3300 cfs which is not really that bad for wading in some spots.

Be very careful not to get in too deep.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........