Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Perfect Delta Morning

Lee
    Absolutely! It aint fishing, it's jungle warfare Makes me laugh when I read that you should employ an open loop to cast bass bugs when what I want is a loop so sharp it slices through tullies! (That's why the upside down cast is ideal - you can combine a tight loop with a soft landing. All I have to overcome is my casting arm's instinct to avoid trouble. )
    Prime advice to anybody in this game is: Stick it where the sun don't shine! (That's where Mr Bass can see it and where he feels most secure)

Mike
    PS Don't go putting anything else in that cow trough
    Bass Buggin' - Bad for the heart: Good for the soul.

Mike, great point about that upside down cast! I was watching Kevin Doran's upside down cast as carefully as I could, and I noticed the bug rode below the entire rig. So even if the bug tailed slightly, it wasn't a problem even when the loop was tight.

I think that's one of the disadvantages of the overhand cast in bass bugging -- the bug, due to its weight, has a tendency to tail and, when combined with a very tight loop, wants to crash into the rest of the rig on the forward cast. Unfortunately, I'm an expert at making that happen. I think that may be why, traditionally, folks have been advised to open their loops.

As an aside, I also couldn't help noticing how physically effortless Kevin made his casts -- he didn't have to raise his arm above shoulder level and the rod seemed to supply most of the power and effort.
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

Mike

I've been working on that cast in the backyard I've found that even when the cast doesn't travel completely upside down you are still likely to get a nice tight side cast.
    Traditionally the cast used to be called a pendulum cast but the Spey guys have commandeered the name for one of their variations. The action is quite wristy and tricky to describe but it's worth the effort to get it right. (I'm a long way short of getting it right every time.) As you say Kevin makes it look totally effortless.

Mike

Default Casting....

Probably a lot easier when standing in a boat than from a sitting position as in a kayak....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Darian
    C'mon, you know these kayak guys can't cast! They just paddle up real close and dap the bug on the surface

Ain't that kinda taking a chance? The size of them delta bass and the enthusiastic top-water explosions might swamp MOST personal vessels in the immediate vacinity!

Hey, dapping goes way back and is a time-honored casting technique! Actually, the kayak does bring you closer to the water and some of those close-in explosions do just about give you a heart attack at times.
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

Mike N. glad to hear you're staying on 'em! Too bad on the lost big'un! Sounds like she just won that round...you know where she lives! You still berthing on Bethel?

You have heard me talk about the "attack zone". I have always considered this zone to be from 0-~6ft. Within this range largemouth bass are explosively quick. We got some footage yesterday that shows this in a way that doesn't need words to explain! In slow motion it is just unbelievable!!

A battleship and a torpedo come to mind!...and that battleship wasn't sitting still!

What a game!

KD

Hi Kevin
    My new berth is on Old River near Orwood. Good fly water on my doorstep
    That explosive footage sounds great: "Topwater-the Movie"
    First time I saw a bass take a fly was at the start of a Mel Krieger casting video on a cold Winter's afternoon in the UK, years ago - I thought "Wow, love to have a go at those babies!" And consigned that wish to the fantasy garbage can
    Second time I saw a bass take a fly was September last year with you -and it was me on the other end

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mikenewman
    Darian
    C'mon, you know these kayak guys can't cast! They just paddle up real close and dap the bug on the surface
    One of the many benefits for those of us that cast flies from a yak. Up close and personal is one of the many things I love about kayak fishing. Being able to fish on top of the grass beds or the soup calls for accuracy more then distance. One thing I learned early in the game was due to the stealth achievable from a kayak you could get too close. I’ve been in one situation where I paddled over the top of what could have easily been a ten lb bass; I don’t know who scared whom the most. Now I must admit dabbing from a yak can have a whole new meaning andI don’t do a lot of long distance casting but then… I don’t have to.
    I think the Delta and kayak fly-fishing were made for each other
    Why do I paddle a kayak instead of a float tube or a pontoon boat. I like seeing where I'm going not where I've been.
    Paddle safe and Wrap'em Tight
    Rickey Noel Mitchell
    http://www.paddleandflies.com